Kohistan Video Scandal: 1 sentenced to death, 4 to life imprisonment
Posted on 2014-01-30 18:40:12
MONITORING DESK ABBOTTABAD : District and session court has pronounced five suspects guilty convicting them for the charges of murdering four people including three brothers, pertaining to the Kohistan video scandal. The court sentenced one person to death while four others to life imprisonment.
Police had arrested five suspects in the case who were brought before the court amid strict security arrangements. Court has sentenced one suspect to death and other four to life imprisonment. The convicts were also fined 2 lacs rupees each.
It merits mentioning here that an amateur video footage at a village in Kohistan district had surfaced last year in which two men belonging to Sunny Khel tribe were seen dancing while five women belonging to Saram Khel tribe were clapping. According to sources, five men belonging to Saram Khel tribe had murdered four men including three brothers of Sunny Khel tribe to avenge the ‘dishonor’. The incident had left injured fifteen others including six women.
Earlier, human rights activist Farzana Bari had claimed that five girls shown in a leaked dancing video had been murdered. Bari demanded the Chief Justice of Pakistan to reopen the case.
The Supreme Court had taken up the case following reports that five girls were killed in Kohistan for dancing at a marriage ceremony. It was ruled that girls were alive and that the case will be reopened if anything changed.
In the video, five girls were allegedly shown dancing at a wedding and reports of the murder of the women had surfaced. (Local TV)
comments powered by Disqus
More National NEWS
- Pakistani laws prohibiting underage marriage un-Islamic: CII
- Taliban committee to remain intact, says Yousuf Shah
- PM chairs high-level meeting on security situation
- PM Nawaz meets IAEA DG
- Policemen providing security to polio team shot dead
- Terrorists won't be allowed to open office: State Minister
- Sartaj Aziz heads to London for Pak-UK dialogue: FO spokesperson
- Tharparkar drought: one more child dies at Mithi Civil Hospital
- MQM worker's killing: SHC summons advocate general
- Dasti allegations dismissed for lack of evidence.