Kohistan Video Scandal: 1 sentenced to death, 4 to life imprisonment
Posted on 2014-01-30 18:40:12
MONITORING DESK ABBOTTABAD : District and session court has pronounced five suspects guilty convicting them for the charges of murdering four people including three brothers, pertaining to the Kohistan video scandal. The court sentenced one person to death while four others to life imprisonment.
Police had arrested five suspects in the case who were brought before the court amid strict security arrangements. Court has sentenced one suspect to death and other four to life imprisonment. The convicts were also fined 2 lacs rupees each.
It merits mentioning here that an amateur video footage at a village in Kohistan district had surfaced last year in which two men belonging to Sunny Khel tribe were seen dancing while five women belonging to Saram Khel tribe were clapping. According to sources, five men belonging to Saram Khel tribe had murdered four men including three brothers of Sunny Khel tribe to avenge the ‘dishonor’. The incident had left injured fifteen others including six women.
Earlier, human rights activist Farzana Bari had claimed that five girls shown in a leaked dancing video had been murdered. Bari demanded the Chief Justice of Pakistan to reopen the case.
The Supreme Court had taken up the case following reports that five girls were killed in Kohistan for dancing at a marriage ceremony. It was ruled that girls were alive and that the case will be reopened if anything changed.
In the video, five girls were allegedly shown dancing at a wedding and reports of the murder of the women had surfaced. (Local TV)
comments powered by Disqus
More National NEWS
- PM Nawaz to monitor Balochistan projects
- Bodies of MQM workers recovered in Karachi: Sabzwari
- One killed in attack on security forces near Peshawar
- Protection of Pakistan Ordinance presented in Senate amid protest
- Treason case: Petition against appointment of prosecutor declared not maintainable
- PM Nawaz chairs federal cabinet meeting
- LHC quashes contempt of court plea against PM
- Three bodies recovered from Karachi areas
- Arms depot catches fire in Landi Kotal FC camp
- Sindh govt decides to put head money on Uzair Baloch, Baba Ladla