JALALABAD: As many as 10 people were killed after unknown gunmen attacked the Nangarhar’s education department in Jalalabad city on Wednesday.
Local officials told Afghan media that the situation had been brought under control but that at least 10 people were dead.
Eyewitnesses told media persons that around 50 people had been trapped inside the compound; however the officials were also not able to confirm this.
Spokesman for the provincial governor, Attaullah Khoghyani said that the unknown number of gunmen stormed the department and opened fire.
This is the third major attack in less than two weeks in Jalalabad, following an explosion that killed a group of Afghan Sikhs on July 1 and a second that killed at least 12 people on Tuesday.