Posted on

Credit in Panama case to be given Siraj says Khursheed Shah

F.P. Report

ISLAMABAD: Opposition Leader in National Assembly, Syed Khursheed Shah has said Jamaat-i-Islami chief, Senator Siraj-ul-Haq was the first to take up the Panama case in the apex court and because of his struggle the SC announced the historic verdict on Friday.

Shah said that the credit must be given to Siraj and his party in Panama case for their struggle against corrupts. He claimed that Imran Khan quickly announced Sheikh Rasheed for the prime minister slot despite that it understood between the opposition parties to jointly announce their candidate against the PML-N candidate for premiership.

Khan statements and move could jeopardize the unity of opposition parties and it will benefit the PML-N and adding that Imran Khan cannot handle and defeat it without the assistance of other opposition parties, Shah said.

Posted on

Indian actor Ayesha Takia’s Muslim husband gets death threats for marrying a ‘Hindu girl’

Bollywood actor and restaurateur Ayesha Takia’s husband Farhan Azmi filed a complaint with the Mumbai Police on July 26 for having received death threats from a political outfit over a phone call earlier this month, Indian media reported.

Azmi, a hotelier, is the son of Samajwadi Party leader Abu Azmi, who has featured in headlines for making several controversial statements. Farhan Azmi’s complaint states the political party titled Hindu Sena, which operates out of Rajasthan, threatened him for allegedly having indulged in “love jihad”. “You all are animals. Have you forgotten that you have indulged in Love Jihad by marrying a Hindu girl?” the unidentified caller reportedly told the actress’ husband.

Ayesha has been married to Farhan Azmi since 2009 and the couple are parents to a son named Mikail.

“The aggressor, in no uncertain terms, extended death threats to the undersigned and his family…” read the report.

According to the complaint, the threat call on behalf of the Rajasthan Hindu Sena was primarily targeted at Ayesha’s politician father-in-law – the political outfit is reportedly offended by Abu Azmi’s comments about singer Suchitra Krishnamoorthi’s stance on azaan or the morning call to prayer.

Later, the senior politician told a news channel that only those who attempt to taint the culture of India, protest against the holy morning call to prayer.

“Ask your father Abu Azmi to stop shouting like an animal else he will be bumped off. Also tell the son of Owaisi that he too will not be spared,” Farhan Azmi was reportedly told.

Ayesha has been known to publicly distance herself from the controversial remarks made by her father-in-law. Earlier this year, she told mid-day that it’s okay to have a “difference in mindset”: “When people are in the public eye, they are questioned for their choice of words. A difference in mind-set and generation gap is the issue. There is a difference of opinion [between me and my father-in-law], which is fine. As a celebrity, I take it in my stride that I am expected to harbour an opinion even on something I didn’t say,” mid-day quoted her as saying.

Ayesha Takia was last seen in Amit Mishra’s single Zindagi Tujhse Kya Karen Shikvey. She is best known for films like Dor, Dil Maange Mor, Socha Na Tha and Home Delivery.

 

 

 

 

Posted on

PML-N decides to end PTI govt in KP

F.P. Report

PESHAWAR: Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) wanted to bring in house change in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa assembly to end the PTI led-provincial government in the province.

The provincial leadership of PML-N told that party central leadership had rejected several parties request to form a coalition government in the province but now they take a decision to turned down the PTI government and bring in house change in KP assembly.

According to sources, Provincial President of PML-N, Amir Muqam informed party leaders in a meeting on Sunday that we respected the PTI mandate despite that it could easily formed a government in the province but now members of provincial assembly demands in house change and soon there will be a new government in the KP.

Posted on

Imran, Khattak on same page over QWP issue

F.P. Report

PESHAWAR: There were rumors that the relation between the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister Pervez Khattak and Imran were off the balance for expelling Qaumi Watan Party (QWP) however the party source confirmed that both the leaders were on the same page in this regard.

It was reported that provincial ministers and close supporter in KP of Khan had recommended to end expel the QWP from provincial cabinet and claimed that Khattak was favoring QWP and giving them extra benefits. But the party sources said that there were no gap between the CM and party chief and they were on the same page.

Posted on

Stokes’ burst leaves South Africa facing defeat

F.P. Report

OVAL: England ripped apart South Africa’s top order in Sunday’s final session at the Oval to bear down on a victory that would put them 2-1 up with one to play in the four-test series.

Two wickets from successive balls in Ben Stokes’ third over removed Quinton de Kock (5) and Faf du Plessis (0) and ended faint South Africa hopes of mounting a rearguard action in pursuit of their nominal target of 492.

Although Stokes failed to record what would have been the first-ever test hat-trick at the Oval, the damage was done. Du Plessis’ wicket, lbw without playing a shot to a first-ball inswinger, was a particular blow, with South Africa needing their captain to survive at least into Monday.

The tourists limped to the close on 117-4, still 375 short of their target with a day’s play remaining.

The battling Dean Elgar was unbeaten on 72 despite a painful blow to his finger, and Temba Bavuma on 16, as England turned to Moeen Ali to try to secure another breakthrough.

Elgar had been fortunate to survive on nine, dropped by Keaton Jennings at third slip off Jimmy Anderson, and went on to strike seven fours in his 77-ball half-century.

No one else provided much resistance. Before Stokes struck, Stuart Broad removed opener Heino Kuhn for 11 and Toby Roland-Jones dismissed Hashim Amla for the second time in the match, this time having South Africa’s danger man sharply caught by Joe Root in the slips for five.

England have a further 98 overs available on Monday to complete the victory and vindicate Root’s decision to delay his declaration to apply maximum pressure to South Africa.

England’s new captain eventually called time when Jonny Bairstow was dismissed before tea after a breezy 63 which lifted England, who had resumed on 74-1, to 313-8.

After Jennings departed early for a painstaking 48, debutant Tom Westley pushed on to a maiden half-century, an innings that should ensure an extended run at England’s problem number three spot.

Westley went on to make 59 before he was stumped misjudging a dash at Keshav Maharaj. Root (50) followed soon afterwards, top-edging the same bowler after recording a half-century for the ninth successive match.

England gradually accelerated with Stokes (31) and Roland-Jones (23 not out) joining Bairstow in some lusty blows as England’s lead extended way beyond the test record for a successful final innings run chase of 418.

If South Africa fail to survive on Monday, it will complete a one-sided sequence in each of the tests. England won by 211 runs at Lord’s before South Africa hit back with an even more emphatic 340-run victory at Trent Bridge.

Posted on

SC to resume hearing of Imran disqualification case

F.P. Report

ISLAMABAD: The Supreme Court will resume hearing on Monday of the disqualification case of Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) Chairman Imran Khan.

Chief Justice Mian Saqib Nisar headed the three judge bench including Justice Faisal Arab and Justice Umar Ata Bandial.

Leader of Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) Hanif Abbasi filed a case in the Supreme Court for disqualification of Imran Khan and Jehangir Tareen for violating the income tax ordinance and Peoples act by not declaring their assets. It also terms the PTI as “foreign funded party”.

Anwar Mansoor, Lawyer of PTI will be presenting his arguments today.

PTI’s counsel, Anwar Mansoor, will be presenting his arguments today after being on a  medical leave in previous proceedings.

Posted on

Afghan forces thwart a deadly explosion in Jalalabad city

JALALABAD (Khaama Press): The Afghan security forces have foiled a plot by the anti-government armed militant group to carry out a deadly explosion in Jalalabad city, the provincial capital of Nangarhar province.

According to the local government officials, the militants were attempting to detonate a motorcycle packed with heavy explosives in the city but the motorcycle was discovered before the militants manage to carry out an attack.

The provincial government media office in a statement also confirmed that the motorcycle packed with explosives was seized from the vicinity of the 7th police district of the city.

The statement further added that the militants had parked the motorcycle on a roadside and were apparently waiting to detonate it upon the arrival of their target.

The explosives seized from the motorcycle was detonated in an empty area to prevent casualties or losses to the civilians, the provincial government said, adding that the confiscation of the motorcycle by the security forces helped to prevent a deadly attack that could claim the lives of dozens of people.

The anti-government armed militant groups have not commented regarding the report so far.

Nangarhar has been among the relatively calm provinces since the fall of the Taliban regime but the anti-government armed militant groups including the Taliban and ISIS loyalists have started attempts to expand their insurgency in some key and remote districts of the province.

Posted on

Afghan forces repulse Taliban attacks in Badghis

HERAT (AIP): Taliban gunmen targeted several posts of Afghan National Army (ANA) in Bala Murghab district of Badghis province as they increased attacks in Afghanistan following the launch of their traditional spring offensive, officials said Sunday.

The fighting sparked by Taliban attacks on ANA posts in the Joye Khwaja area of Bala Murghab district last night lasted for several hours, said Zaher Bahand, spokesman of Badghis governor.

He said five Taliban were killed while 10 Taliban two troops wounded during the firefight, adding the fighting has ended and situation was clam in the area.

There was no word by Taliban who have increased coordinated attacks on district centres for the last few weeks and seized three district centres in Faryab, Ghor and Paktia province.

The security forces recaptured the Kohistan district of Faryab province while most parts of Tywara district of Ghor province were also cleared of Taliban.

However, the Janikhil district of Paktia province is still in the control of Taliban.

Few days ago, the Taliban mounted a deadliest attack on an ANA base in Khakrez district of Kandahar province wherein, according to defence ministry,  26 ANA troops were killed and 13 others wounded.

The defence ministry said investigations were ongoing into the attack.

Posted on

Illegal armed commander killed, 3 guards injured in clash

KUNDUZ (AIP): A warlord was killed and his three guards wounded during a clash with local residents in the Bangi district of northern Takhar province, residents said Sunday.
The illegal armed commander and his guards forcibly searched houses of several local residents in the Bangi district yesterday and also physically beaten them, local residents told AIP by phone.
Later, an armed clash took place between the local residents and Commander Mirwais, they said, adding the commander was killed and his three supporters injured during the clash.
The local residents alleged the slain commander was a close associate of highway police commander Mullah Nadar and used government resources in attack.
Khalil Aseer, spokesman of Takhar police confirmed the incident, saying Mirwais was killed in clash with other illegal gunmen. He said investigations were ongoing.
It is said that Commander Mirwaish was leading a 150 member of gunmen.
The operation of illegal gunmen or warlords have increased in the northeastern Takhar, Kunduz, Baghlan and Badakhshan provinces, spreading concern among the masses.
According to local residents, these illegal gunmen are enjoying the support of high-ranking government officials and politicians.

Posted on

Ronaldo due in court over tax evasion claims

F.P. Report

MADRID: Football megastar Cristiano Ronaldo appears in court near Madrid Monday accused of evading millions of euros in taxes, the latest player to fall foul of Spain´s taxman.

The 32-year-old will be questioned by a court in Pozuelo de Alarcon, a wealthy suburb of Madrid where he lives, after returning from a summer break with his girlfriend and relatives and a promotion trip to China.

The Portuguese star — the world´s highest paid athlete according to Forbes magazine — follows in the steps of his arch-rival, Barcelona forward and Argentina star Lionel Messi, who was found guilty of the same offence last year.

Other footballers have also recently run into trouble with Spain´s taxman, some of them already convicted and others under investigation.

Prosecutors accuse Ronaldo of having evaded 14.7 million euros ($17.3 million) in tax.

They allege he took “advantage of a company structure created in 2010 to hide income generated in Spain from his image rights from tax authorities”.

They say this was a “voluntary and conscious breach of his fiscal obligations in Spain”.

Conscience ´clear´

Prosecutors accuse the four-time world player of the year of evading tax via a shell company based in the British Virgin Islands and another in Ireland, known for low corporate tax rates.

In addition, they say the Real Madrid striker only declared 11.5 million euros of Spanish-related income from 2011 to 2014, while what he really earned during that time was close to 43 million euros.

And finally, they accuse him of “voluntarily” refusing to include 28.4 million euros in income linked to the sale of his image rights for the 2015 to 2020 period to a Spanish company.

Ronaldo has defended himself, saying his “conscience is clear”.

His agent´s company Gestifute has also denied any “fiscal set-up” and said “the player didn´t hide anything”.

But the allegations still took their toll. According to press reports, Real´s all-time top goalscorer threatened to leave Spain over the affair, giving supporters a fright.

He has since hinted he will stay on, telling Spanish sports daily Marca that he would like to continue to win trophies for Real.

If he were put on trial and found guilty, Ronaldo risks “a fine of at least 28 million” euros and could potentially be jailed for three-and-a-half years, the Gestha union of experts at Spain´s Inland Revenue has said.

Since extending his contract last November until 2021, Ronaldo is the highest paid sports star in the world with $93 million (79 million euros) earned in 2016-2017, according to Forbes.