Posted on

32 killed in Nangarhar suicide bombing

Monitoring Desk

JALALABAD: As many as 32 people were killed and 128 more wounded in a suicide attack on the Jalalabad-Torkham highway in Momand Dara district of Nangarhar province on Tuesday.

A suicide bomber exploded himself up near a protest camp in Daka area on Torkham-Jalalabad highway, leaving 32 people dead and 128 more injured, Nangarhar governor’s spokesman Attaullah Khugiyani told Afghan Islamic Press (AIP).

According to officials, the dead and injured people were taken to various hospitals. However, it is believed that some of the dead persons were taken to their nearby homes.

Earlier, some sources told AIP that at least 40 protestors were dozens more wounded in the bombing. The victims belonged to Shinwari tribe.

President Muhammad Ashraf Ghani condemned the suicide bombing in and the blasts on schools in Behsud district of Nangarhar.

No one claimed responsibility for the suicide attack so far. However, the Taliban rejected involvement in the incident and condemned the blast. The Taliban faction headed by Mullah Rasool also condemned the blast and expressed grief over the loss of precious lives.

It is pertinent to mention here that the residents belonging to four districts of Shinwari tribes have launched protect movement against a local police commander Bilal Bacha.

They have blocked the Jalalabad-Torkham highway for all kinds of traffic. The protestors accused Bilal Bacha of illegal activities. They urged the government to sack the aforesaid police official as soon as possible.

The UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) has condemned the attack on civilians in Nangarhar.

“I feel profound indignation at this latest wave of attacks deliberately targeting civilians. Our deepest sympathy is with the victims, families and the Afghan people,” said Tadamichi Yamamoto, the secretary-general’s special representative for Afghanistan.

“We learned with sorrow that terrorist attack that targeted a demonstration in Nangarhar province resulted in loss of lives and many injuries.”

“We strongly condemn this terrorist attack,” the the statement said.

“We wish Allah’s mercy upon those who lost their lives, speedy recovery to the wounded, and convey our condolences to the friendly Government and the brotherly people of Afghanistan,” it added.

 

 

Advertisements
Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *