KUNDUZ: The security forces retook those areas from Taliban which they had captured in Markazi Baghlan district of Baghlan province few days ago, officials and local residents said on Tuesday.
The security regained control over Mangalo, Kog Chinar, Qaisar Khel, Araban and other areas as a result of military operation, a local resident told AIP.
The foreign troops supported the Afghan forces in the offensive, he added.
Meanwhile, media official of 20th regiment Ghulam Hazrat Karimi told AIP that Taliban suffered heavy casualties in the operation over the past two days. The security forces regained control over the areas which the Taliban had captured few days ago, he added.
About 30 Taliban fighters were killed and 15 more injured in the gunfight, he said. The dead and injured Taliban including some commanders, he added.
He confirmed that the foreign troops provided aerial support to the Afghan forces in the offensive. The operation was still in progress, he added.
Taliban captured these areas after fierce gunfight early this week. It was believed that dozens of security personnel suffered casualties in the gunfight. The Taliban took away multiple weapons.
However, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid told AIP that the areas captured in Markazi Baghlan district were still under their control.
The reports of officials about recapturing the areas were false, he added.
The foreign forces have not said anything in this regard so far.