RIYADH (Agencies): New Iranian missiles and weapons found in Yemen were revealed by the Arab Coalition in a press conference on Monday.
US Special Representative for Iran Brian Hook and Saudi Arabia’s Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Adel al-Jubeir hosted a joint press conference after examining the weapons.
Saudi Arabia is consulting with all the countries on the UN Security Council on the dangers of not extending the arms embargo on Iran, says the Kingdom’s Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Adel al-Jubair.
A UN report recently stated that missiles and drones used in attacks against Saudi Arabia were of Iranian origin, marking the first time that the organization’s Secretary-General has explicitly recognized Iran’s role in attacks on the Kingdom.
The US President Donald Trump pulled out of a nuclear deal with Iran in 2018, saying that it had not stopped Iran from continuing to destabilize the region. Since then, the Iranians have violated the deal several times.
“Iranian leaders are rejecting diplomacy, fueling instability, and worsening the suffering of innocent Yemenis…Iran will never be allowed to develop a nuclear weapon,” Hook said at the press conference.
The US submitted a draft resolution to the UN Security Council saying that the current arms embargo on Iran should be extended beyong its expiration date on October 18, 2020.
“The weapons that we see here today … are all the evidence we need, that the arms embargo on Iran must not be lifted. If the embargo expires, Iran will be able to purchase and sell these weapons, as well as many other kinds of weapons without any restrictions at all,” Hook said.
If the arms embargo expires, Iran will acquire new sensitive technologies and re-export to its proxies in the region, Hook added.