Categories: Global

Australian mushroom murderer allegedly served poisoned pasta to her husband

SYDNEY (Reuters) : An Australian woman who murdered three of her in-laws with a meal of toxic mushrooms also allegedly tried to murder her husband using poisoned pasta, a chicken curry and a sandwich wrap, evidence showed on Friday after a judge allowed its disclosure.

A jury last month found Erin Patterson lured her mother-in-law Gail Patterson, father-in-law Donald Patterson and Gail’s sister, Heather Wilkinson, to lunch at her home and poisoned them with servings of Beef Wellington that contained death cap mushrooms.

They also found the 50-year-old guilty of the attempted murder of Ian Wilkinson, Heather’s husband, who survived the 2023 meal at Erin Patterson’s home in Leongatha, a town of about 6,000 people some 135 km (84 miles) southeast of Melbourne.

Patterson was initially charged with three counts of murder and five counts of attempted murder in 2023, with the four additional counts relating to her estranged husband, Simon Patterson.

Justice Christopher Beale previously ruled the charges should be split into two separate trials, before the prosecution dropped the attempted murder charges relating to Simon Patterson on the eve of the first trial.

That meant details of the alleged attempts on her husband’s life in 2021 and 2022 were never heard by the jury.

“After the first time I got sick, I had the idea I got sick from Erin’s food,” Simon Patterson told a pre-trial hearing in Melbourne in October 2024.

He eventually began keeping a spreadsheet of his illnesses that the court heard all happened after eating his estranged wife’s cooking, including a penne bolognese, a chicken curry and a sandwich wrap.

The alleged poisonings left him close to death, and he became so ill he was temporarily paralysed and had part of his bowel removed, the court heard at the time.

Evidence from a computer seized from Patterson’s home showing searches for other kinds of poisons was also excluded from the trial.

Patterson maintained her innocence throughout the case that has gripped Australia, with her defence calling the deaths a “terrible accident”. She pleaded not guilty to the counts of attempted murder against her husband.

The court will next hear the case on August 25, the first of a two-day plea hearing where victim impact statements will be read.

The Frontier Post

Recent Posts

Punjab floods: 33 dead, thousands rescued, risk rising in next 24 hours

F.P. Report LAHORE : Director General of Punjab Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA) Irfan Ali…

3 hours ago

Fake Facebook account of Sindh Home Minister exposed

F.P. Report KARACHI : A fake Facebook account operating in the name of Sindh Home…

3 hours ago

Three dead, as many injured in Nankana roof collapse

F.P. Report NANKANA SAHIB : Three persons were killed and as many injured in a…

3 hours ago

Pakistan beat UAE by 31 runs for second win in T20 tri-series

SHARJAH (AFP): Saim Ayub and Hasan Nawaz struck half-centuries as Pakistan thumped the United Arab…

3 hours ago

Israel army strikes Hezbollah site in south Lebanon

JERUSALEM (AFP): The Israeli army said it carried out a strike on a site run…

3 hours ago

Pacifist Japan struggles to boost troops as China anxiety grows

NAHA, Japan (AFP) : Sporting dark face paint and clutching a gun, teenage soldier-in-training Takuma…

3 hours ago

This website uses cookies.