MANILA (AFP): An Australian man has been sentenced to 129 years in a Philippine jail as part of a child sexual abuse case involving victims as young as 18 months, a prosecutor said Wednesday.
“I hope this sends a very strong message to all abusers, all human traffickers, that crime really does not pay,” Merlynn Barola-Uy, a regional prosecutor in the southern city of Cagayan de Oro, told AFP.
It was the second conviction for Peter Gerard Scully, who is already serving a life sentence for rape and trafficking of girls.
The Philippines has become a global hotspot for child sex exploitation, experts warn, helped by poverty, English fluency and high internet connectivity in the country.
The Cagayan de Oro court handed down the sentence on November 3 after Scully and his three co-accused entered into a plea bargaining agreement.
They had been charged with 60 offences, including trafficking, child pornography, child abuse and rape.
Scully’s girlfriend, Lovely Margallo, was sentenced to 126 years in jail. Two others were given sentences of more than nine years.
Diamond-rich Botswana in Africa has run out of medical supplies in its public health system.…
TIANJIN: President Xi Jinping said on Sunday that the Shanghai Cooperation Organization is shouldering greater…
(Reuters): Europe is drawing up "pretty precise plans" for a multinational troop deployment to Ukraine…
Jasim Al-Azzawi Over the past two years, Iran’s network of allies in the Middle East…
PARIS (AFP): French Prime Minister Francois Bayrou, who is fighting to keep his job in…
BEIRUT (AFP): Lebanon’s Speaker of Parliament Nabih Berri, an ally of the Iran-backed Hezbollah, called…
This website uses cookies.