KABUL: Former Independent Election Commission secretary Ziaulhaq Amarkhel on Monday said he would move the court and organize civil movements because his name was removed from the final list of candidates under pressure from the Chief Executive Officer.
He said he was delisted without having a criminal record and violations.
According to a Pajhwok Afghan News report, the Independent Electoral Complaints Commission (IECC) has removed 35 people including Ziaulhaq Amarkhel from the final list of Wolesi Jirga candidates on August 11.
Talking to a press conference titled ‘The voice of justice’ here, Amarkhel, head of the National Stability Association (NSA), said: “I am a victim of injustice, I don’t know why my name was removed, I have no weapons or illegal armed men, I am not a murderer, it is obvious the IECC decision is discriminatory.”
He said no complaints had been lodged against him with the IECC and there were no problem in his documents.
“After the removal of my name from the final list, I contacted the IECC chief for the reason, but he did not provide any reason and told me he has no time to talk,” Amarkhel said.
He added he also visited the IECC office on Sunday about the issue, but no one including the commission chief met him.
“I told the IECC chief that I want to appeal in my case, he told me that the time for appeal was over and the commission’s decision was final,” he said, adding he was not given the right for appeal.
Amarkhel said the IECC had been pressed by the office of the chief executive to remove his name from the final list of Wolesi Jirga candidates. He criticized the president and said: “Why is the president silent about injustice to our rights, this silence questions the legitimacy of the government, the president and the Cabinet.”
He said he would raise his voice for justice through civil movements with his supporters in Kabul and provinces. “I will also lodge a complaint about the issue in the Supreme Court today.”
The CEO office did not comment about Amarkhel’s allegations. However, the Presidential Palace a day earlier said: “The national unity government always supports transparent, fair and on time elections. The authorities and independence of electoral commissions are clear in the law. The government fully respects the IECC and Independent Election Commission (IEC) decisions.”
Ali Reza Rohani, IECC secretary, did not directly comment about Amarkhel’s allegations, but said there was no pressure on the commission from any side and the commission had removed candidates based on complaints and valid reasons.
Mualvi Tarakhel, Fawzia Kufi, Zardad Faryadi, Qais Hassan, Sher Ali Ahmadzai, Akbar Stanikzai, Shayesta Baz Naseri, Amanullah Hotak are among 35 candidates removed from the final list.