Categories: Technology

Chinese rocket’s breakup puts over 1,000 satellites and other objects at risk

WASHINGTON (Reuters) : A Chinese rocket stage that broke apart in space this week created more than 700 pieces of debris, putting over 1,000 satellites and other objects in a high-traffic region of Earth’s orbit at risk of hazardous collisions, analysts said on Friday.

China’s state-owned Shanghai Spacecom Satellite Technology (SSST) launched 18 internet satellites into orbit on Tuesday as the inaugural batch of a communications network that will challenge SpaceX’s vast Starlink constellation.

The upper rocket stage that carried those satellites into orbit appeared to explode soon after deploying its payloads, creating a growing field of debris that US space-tracking firms estimate to be at least 700 pieces so far.

SSST did not respond to a request for comment.
US space-tracking firm LeoLabs said it was likely the number of debris pieces exceeds 900, making the event one of the largest ever. The debris cloud, created at roughly 800 kilometres (497 miles) in altitude, will last several years, several analysts said.

It was unclear whether the latest rocket body’s break-up was caused by a collision with another object or an onboard explosion of unused rocket fuel. US Space Command initially said the event created 300 pieces of debris, a number that was seen as likely to increase as the debris cloud disperses.

Over 1,100 satellites and other objects in space are at risk of colliding with the Chinese debris, Audrey Schaffer, vice president of strategy at space-tracking firm Slingshot Aerospace, told Reuters.

“What we are seeing now is there are over 1,100 predicted conjunctions of less than 5-km miss distances over the next three days,” Schaffer said, adding that roughly a third of those objects at risk are active spacecraft that can likely maneuver out of the way. 

The Frontier Post

Recent Posts

UK-Germany-France triumvirate returning to prominence

Andrew Hammond French President Emmanuel Macron, German Chancellor Friedrich Merz and Polish Prime Minister Donald…

2 hours ago

How to use AI without losing our minds

Ngaire Woods The recent launches of Gemini Deep Think and GPT-5 have highlighted the rapid…

2 hours ago

Govt keeps petrol price unchanged, slashes diesel’s by Rs3 per litre

F.P. Report ISLAMABAD: Pakistan government on Sunday kept the petrol price unchanged for the next…

2 hours ago

Trump says he plans unconstitutional executive order to mandate ID for voters

WASHINGTON: Donald Trump has said he will issue an executive order to mandate identification for…

2 hours ago

Dominik Szoboszlai’s wonder strike sinks Arsenal and sends Liverpool top

LONDON : If Liverpool are to successfully defend their Premier League title, they will look…

2 hours ago

Govt announces closure of Utility Stores Corporation

F.P. Report ISLAMABAD : Federal Minister for Parliamentary Affairs Dr. Tariq Fazal Chaudhary Sunday announced…

3 hours ago

This website uses cookies.