Categories: Global

Chinese tech billionaire goes missing

BEIJING (AFP): The Chinese billionaire chairman of investment bank China Renaissance has gone missing, the firm said, as shares in the company plunged in Hong Kong on Friday.

Bao Fan, who is also executive director of the bank, is a major figure in the Chinese tech industry and has played a key role in the emergence of various domestic internet startups.

“The company has been unable to contact Mr Bao,” China Renaissance said in an announcement to the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, without offering further details.

Shares in the firm slumped as much as 30 percent following the statement.

According to financial news outlet Caixin the 52-year-old dealmaker had been unreachable for two days as of Thursday evening.

China Renaissance was not immediately available for comment after being contacted by AFP.

Founded in 2005, the group has supervised the IPOs of several domestic internet giants, including leading e-commerce firm JD.com.

Bao also facilitated a blockbuster 2015 merger between major ride-hailing firm Didi and its top competitor at the time, Kuaidi Dache.

The case of China Renaissance is reminiscent of a pattern of investigations into top financiers from the country in recent years.

In 2017, Chinese-Canadian businessman Xiao Jianhua was arrested by mainland authorities and received a 13-year jail sentence under corruption charges last August.

Known to hold close ties to top Chinese Communist Party leaders, the billionaire was reportedly abducted from his Hong Kong hotel room by plainclothes police officers from Beijing.

At the time of his arrest, Xiao was one of the richest men in China, with an estimated fortune of $6 billion.

According to Caixin, China Renaissance president Cong Lin was taken into custody last September as authorities launched a probe into his work at the financial leasing unit of state-owned bank ICBC.

The Frontier Post

Recent Posts

NDMA alerts prompt evacuation of 150,000 in Punjab amid rising Sutlej River

F.P. Report ISLAMABAD : Nearly 150,000 people have so far been relocated to safer areas…

4 days ago

Philippine president fires police chief, who led the arrests of Duterte and televangelist Quiboloy

MANILA (AP) : Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. has fired his national police chief, who…

4 days ago

Israeli protesters call for hostage deal ahead of cabinet meeting

TEL AVIV (AFP) : Protesters calling for an end to the war in Gaza and…

4 days ago

India to probe giant zoo run by son of Asia’s richest person

NEW DELHI (AFP) : India’s Supreme Court has ordered an investigation into allegations of illegal…

4 days ago

China says ‘shocked’ by Israel strike on Gaza hospital

BEIJING (AFP) : China said on Tuesday it was “shocked” by an Israeli strike on…

4 days ago

China, Russia should safeguard security, development interests, says Xi

BEIJING (Reuters): China and Russia should jointly safeguard their security and development interests, Chinese President…

4 days ago

This website uses cookies.