Coronavirus claimed 9 more lives, 709 new cases detected: Murad

Sher Afzal

KARACHI: Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah while sharing the bulletin of coronavirus with the traders community whom he met at Sindh Assembly building said 709 new cases had emerged when 4215 samples were tested while nine more patients lost their lives, taking the death toll to 189.

The meeting was attended by provincial ministers, Dr Azra Pechuho, Saeed Ghani, Imtiaz Shaikh, Nasir Shah, Ikram Dharejo,  Advisor Law Murtaza Wahab, Mayor Karachi Wasim Akhtar, Chief Secretary Mumtaz Shah, IG Sindh Mushtaq Maher, Home Secretary Usman Chachar, Adl IG Karachi Ghulam Nabi Memon, Qasim Siraj Teli, and leaders of different organizations of the traders, said a statement on Sunday.

At the outset of the meeting, the chief minister said that 4215 tests were conducted against which 17 percent or 709 new cases were detected. He added that the government had conducted 91,323 tests and found 11,480 cases as positive which were 12.6 percent of the total test. “The ratio of positive cases is on the increase because it is peak of the epidemic in Sindh,” he said.

He said nine more patients lost their lives while fighting against the virus and the number of deaths have reached to 189 which was 1.6 percent of the total patients.

Syed Murad Ali Shah said at present 9210 patients were under treatment, of them 7973 or 86 percent of the total patients were in home isolation and our doctors were looking after them. 

He added that 684 or eight percent were at Isolation Centers and 553 or six percent were under treatment in different hospitals.

He disclosed that out of 9210 patients, 99 patients were in critical condition and of them 26 have been put on ventilators. “My prayers and doctors efforts are with them to recover at the earliest,” he said.

Murad Ali Shah said 61 more patients recovered and discharged to their respective homes and the number of patients cured so far come to 2081 which constituted 18.1 percent of the total patients.

The chief minister disclosing the data of Karachi said that out of 709 new cases, 448 cases had been detected from the city.

He added that 152 cases had been detected from district Malir, 145 from South, 87 from Central, 81 from East, 54 from West and 29 from Korangi.

He said since random testing of grocery shops and vegetable venders had been started the number of cases were increasing there. “I would advise the people not to go at shops without masks and must observe social distancing there.”

Murad said 29 cases had been detected from Hyderabad, 19 from Jacobabad, 16 from Shikarpur, 12 Ghotki, 11 each one from Sanghar and Naushehroferoze, six from Sukkur, five from Larkana, four from Shaheed Benazirabad, three each from Jamshoro and Khairpur and two from Tando Allahyar.  

The chief minister said as far as the population of the provinces was concerned Sindh was conducting highest number of tests per day though we were conducting tests of suspects only.

“Our death ration is also lower than KPK and Punjab,” he said and termed it a result of lockdown.

Murad said all quarantined suspects were being tested and our quarantine facilities were success stories of Sindh having capacity of more than 14000 rooms. “We have highest number of cases under critical care-services which are being utilized as cases are rising,” he concluded.

The Frontier Post

Recent Posts

UK-Germany-France triumvirate returning to prominence

Andrew Hammond French President Emmanuel Macron, German Chancellor Friedrich Merz and Polish Prime Minister Donald…

1 hour ago

How to use AI without losing our minds

Ngaire Woods The recent launches of Gemini Deep Think and GPT-5 have highlighted the rapid…

1 hour ago

Govt keeps petrol price unchanged, slashes diesel’s by Rs3 per litre

F.P. Report ISLAMABAD: Pakistan government on Sunday kept the petrol price unchanged for the next…

1 hour ago

Trump says he plans unconstitutional executive order to mandate ID for voters

WASHINGTON: Donald Trump has said he will issue an executive order to mandate identification for…

1 hour ago

Dominik Szoboszlai’s wonder strike sinks Arsenal and sends Liverpool top

LONDON : If Liverpool are to successfully defend their Premier League title, they will look…

1 hour ago

Govt announces closure of Utility Stores Corporation

F.P. Report ISLAMABAD : Federal Minister for Parliamentary Affairs Dr. Tariq Fazal Chaudhary Sunday announced…

1 hour ago

This website uses cookies.