Coronavirus outbreak forces India to hold cricket matches in empty stadiums

Monitoring Desk

NEW DELHI: Indian on Thursday ordered upcoming international cricket matches to be played in empty stadiums amid an unprecedented impact of a blanket visa ban by the government to combat the spread of coronavirus.

With just 68 confirmed cases and no deaths, India has so far been relatively unscathed by the virus compared to elsewhere in Asia, Europe and North America. But experts fear that its overstretched medical systems may not be able to handle the type of intensive care required to handle a spike in infections.

New Delhi said late on Wednesday it will cancel almost all visas issued for travel to the country until April 15, in one of the most far-reaching attempts to prevent the spread of the virus.

On Thursday, the country’s sports secretary said it wanted the national cricket team’s upcoming matches to be played in empty stadiums – an unheard-of occurrence for one of India’s national obsessions.

The chief ministers of two states where India is due to play matches against South Africa this month “have been advised to avoid gathering of people,” RS Jhulaniya told Reuters. “Matches may go on without spectator crowd”.

Brijesh Patel, governing council chairman of the Indian Premier League, the country’s premier domestic cricket tournament due to start later this month, said the organisation would meet on Saturday to discuss “all possibilities” regarding the tournament, including visas issues for overseas players and the possibility of playing matches in empty stadiums.

Tourist and business travel has already dipped sharply this year, but the visa ban will take activity to an “all time low”, according to Chetan Gupta, general secretary of the Association of Domestic Tour Operators of India.

As one of the world’s most popular travel destinations, millions of people in the country rely on tourism for employment. Around 10 million foreign tourists visit the country each year, according to government data.

“All our members are suffering at the moment,” Gupta said. “No one has any business at all — inbound, outbound or domestic.”

Since emerging in the Chinese city of Wuhan late last year, the flu-like coronavirus has infected more than 126,000 and killed over 4,600 people globally, according to Reuters calculations.

Courtesy: (Reuters)

The Frontier Post

Recent Posts

China’s support for multilateralism is vital, says UN’s Guterres

TIANJIN, China (Reuters): China’s role in upholding multilateralism is fundamental, United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres…

10 hours ago

Thousands protest Israeli siege of Gaza near Venice Film Festival

VENICE (AFP): Thousands protested Saturday against Israel’s siege of Gaza on the sidelines of the…

10 hours ago

UNRWA warns of ‘lost generation’ as 660,000 Gaza children remain out of school

GAZA CITY (AA): The UN agency for Palestinian refugees (UNRWA) sounded the alarm on Saturday…

10 hours ago

Trump cancels India visit as US-India tensions escalate over tariffs

WASHINGTON (Web Desk): US-India relations have hit a new low after President Donald Trump canceled…

10 hours ago

NCCIA expands probe into YouTuber Ducky Bhai for promoting gambling apps

F.P. Report LAHORE: The National Cyber Crime Investigation Agency (NCCIA) has expanded the scope of…

10 hours ago

Israeli actress Gadot will stay away from Venice Film Festival amid Gaza protests

(Web Desk) : Israeli actress Gal Gadot is staying away from the Venice Film Festival…

10 hours ago

This website uses cookies.