GHALANAI: The death toll from the tragic incident of a rockslide in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s Mohmand district reached 22 after more bodies were retrieved from under the rubble, quoting rescue officials.
According to the TV report, nine bodies of the labourers working at the marble mine in KP’s remote area have so far been pulled out during the rescue operation which restarted earlier today.
District Police Officer Mohmand Tariq Habib said that several more are feared trapped under the debris, adding that rescue operation has been started after it was stopped due to darkness at around 2am.
Heavy machinery and manpower were dispatched to the area for assistance in the rescue operation.
On Monday, six mines at the Ziarat Ghar mountain had collapsed killing 12 miners and injuring several others.
Deputy Commissioner Iftikhar Alam had said that he feared the number of casualties from the mine collapse would rise. The Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA) had been asked to provide heavy machinery for rescue operations.