KUNDUZ: Security forces successfully continued operation and advanced on Taliban positions in the Nasi district of Badakhshan province, police said.
The operation launched by security forces against Taliban in the Nasi district continued Thursday, forcing Taliban to move back, said Sanaullah Rohani, spokesman of Badakhshan police.
Most of the areas were cleared of Taliban and there existed no more fear of the fall of the district to Taliban, he said, adding six Taliban gunmen have been killed and three more wounded so far.
Taliban launched attacks in areas surrounding the Nasi district centre and reached areas located at a distance of three kilometers from district centre. Later, security forces arrived in the area and launched operation.
Muhammad Ibrahim Qayumi, administrator of the district, and local residents said the Taliban had brought their fighters from other areas in an attempt to capture the district centre but faced defeat. Few days ago, Taliban seized government prosecutor for the same district and he is still in the captivity of Taliban.