Categories: Sports

ICC introduces new rule changes across all formats

DUBAI (Agencies): The International Cricket Council (ICC) has introduced a series of rule changes that will apply to all three formats of men’s international cricket — Tests, One Day Internationals (ODIs), and Twenty20 Internationals (T20Is).

The new rules include modifications to the use of balls in ODIs and updated concussion substitute protocols.

ODI changes

Under the current ICC rule, a new ball is used from each end for 25 overs. Going forward, both balls will be used up to the 34th over. From the 35th over onwards, teams must choose one of the two balls to continue with until the end of the innings.

For matches reduced to 25 overs or fewer, only one ball will be used throughout.

According to the ICC, the new law will help bowlers, especially by enabling reverse swing in the death overs, which has become rare under the existing rule due to consistently newer balls.

Concussion substitutes

As per the new policy, captains must now submit a list of five designated concussion substitutes before the toss. The list must include; one batter, one all-rounder, one wicketkeeper, one fast bowler, and one spinner.

Previously, teams could name concussion substitutes during a match without prior declaration.

The new ICC regulations will take effect from June 17 for Test matches, July 2 for ODIs, and July 10 for T20 Internationals.

‘Bunny hops illegal’

In a separate rule update, the ICC, in collaboration with the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC), has decided to prohibit the controversial ‘bunny-hop’ style of boundary catches, according to reports.

Catches in which a fielder jumps from beyond the boundary without first touching the ground inside the field of play — and redirects the ball while airborne — will now be ruled illegal.

For a catch to be considered valid, the fielder must have made initial contact with the ball while grounded inside the field of play.

However, fielders who initially touch the ball inside the field, step outside due to momentum, and then return to complete the catch, will still be permitted under the law.

While this rule will officially come into effect from October 2026, it will be reflected in ICC playing conditions starting next week.

The Frontier Post

Recent Posts

UK-Germany-France triumvirate returning to prominence

Andrew Hammond French President Emmanuel Macron, German Chancellor Friedrich Merz and Polish Prime Minister Donald…

2 hours ago

How to use AI without losing our minds

Ngaire Woods The recent launches of Gemini Deep Think and GPT-5 have highlighted the rapid…

2 hours ago

Govt keeps petrol price unchanged, slashes diesel’s by Rs3 per litre

F.P. Report ISLAMABAD: Pakistan government on Sunday kept the petrol price unchanged for the next…

2 hours ago

Trump says he plans unconstitutional executive order to mandate ID for voters

WASHINGTON: Donald Trump has said he will issue an executive order to mandate identification for…

2 hours ago

Dominik Szoboszlai’s wonder strike sinks Arsenal and sends Liverpool top

LONDON : If Liverpool are to successfully defend their Premier League title, they will look…

2 hours ago

Govt announces closure of Utility Stores Corporation

F.P. Report ISLAMABAD : Federal Minister for Parliamentary Affairs Dr. Tariq Fazal Chaudhary Sunday announced…

2 hours ago

This website uses cookies.