Categories: Global

India places travel restrictions, closes Myanmar border amid coronavirus fear

Monitoring Desk

MUMBAI: To contain the coronavirus spread, India increased travel restrictions and closed a border with Myanmar on Wednesday, as neighbouring countries continued to report new cases.

The virus has hit Europe and the United States far harder than China’s most immediate neighbors in South Asia, where no one has yet died. But as the number of cases in the region topped 80, experts fear that its overstretched medical systems may not be able to handle the type of intensive care required.

India suspended issuing visas to citizens of France, Spain and Germany until further notice, a health ministry statement said late on Tuesday. Such restrictions are already in place for citizens of China, Italy, Iran, Japan and South Korea – the five countries worst hit by the outbreak of the virus.

It also closed the border with its eastern neighbor Myanmar, although no cases have so far been confirmed there yet.

 “As a precautionary measure (to prevent) transmission of Coronavirus/COVID-19, the international border with Myanmar has been closed… until further orders,” N. Biren Singh, chief minister of the north-eastern state of Manipur, which shares a border with Myanmar, said in a tweet on Tuesday.

52 confirmed cases in India

India, which has confirmed 52 cases of the virus, advised citizens to avoid all non-essential travel to countries affected by the virus, and asked those returning from these places to self-quarantine at home.

The country’s southern state of Kerala, which reported three new cases over the weekend, said on Tuesday it was shutting schools and movie theaters to avoid a further outbreak. Schools in at least two more states have also been closed.

Around the world

Worldwide, at least 4,296 people have died and almost 120,000 people have been recorded as infected by the coronavirus, which originated in China late last year.

In Afghanistan, the number of confirmed cases rose to 7 from 4, the country’s health ministry said on Wednesday.

Bangladesh’s High Court has directed the government to take measures to curb the soaring prices of masks and sanitizers, after it reported its first three cases of the virus on Sunday.

Two of those cases have since tested negative.

Mobile courts launched after the court directive fined at least 30 pharmacies in Dhaka for hoarding face masks and selling them at up to 40 times the retail price, officials said on Wednesday.

Courtesy: (Reuters)

The Frontier Post

Recent Posts

China’s support for multilateralism is vital, says UN’s Guterres

TIANJIN, China (Reuters): China’s role in upholding multilateralism is fundamental, United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres…

6 hours ago

Thousands protest Israeli siege of Gaza near Venice Film Festival

VENICE (AFP): Thousands protested Saturday against Israel’s siege of Gaza on the sidelines of the…

6 hours ago

UNRWA warns of ‘lost generation’ as 660,000 Gaza children remain out of school

GAZA CITY (AA): The UN agency for Palestinian refugees (UNRWA) sounded the alarm on Saturday…

6 hours ago

Trump cancels India visit as US-India tensions escalate over tariffs

WASHINGTON (Web Desk): US-India relations have hit a new low after President Donald Trump canceled…

7 hours ago

NCCIA expands probe into YouTuber Ducky Bhai for promoting gambling apps

F.P. Report LAHORE: The National Cyber Crime Investigation Agency (NCCIA) has expanded the scope of…

7 hours ago

Israeli actress Gadot will stay away from Venice Film Festival amid Gaza protests

(Web Desk) : Israeli actress Gal Gadot is staying away from the Venice Film Festival…

7 hours ago

This website uses cookies.