Categories: Top Stories

More clashes and arrests at UK immigration protests

MANCHESTER (AFP): Further scuffles broke out at anti-immigration protests in the UK on Saturday, with police making several arrests.

Demonstrators calling for mass “remigration” gathered in central Manchester, northwest England, for a march organized by the far-right “Britain First” group, which was confronted by anti-racism groups.

Meanwhile in central London, rival demonstrators converged outside a hotel housing asylum seekers, following similar recent events that have occasionally turned violent.

In Manchester, the two groups clashed briefly at the start of the protest before police split them up, according to an AFP journalist at the scene.

“Send them back, don’t let them in — just stop them coming in, we’ve got hotels full of immigrants and we’ve got our own homeless people in the streets begging for food but nowhere to live,” said protester Brendan O’Reilly, 66.

Counter-protester Judy, a 60-year-old retired nurse, told AFP she was there “because I don’t want to see people full of hate on the streets of Manchester.”

“Do they want them all to go back or is it just people with brown skin? I suspect it’s just people with brown skin that they want to re-migrate,” she added.

In London, similar clashes erupted outside a hotel in the Barbican neighborhood before police intervened.

Metropolitan Police wrote on X that officers had cleared a junction where counter-protesters had assembled in breach of the conditions in place.

“There have been nine arrests so far, with seven for breaching Public Order Act conditions,” added the force.

There have been several flashpoints around the UK in recent weeks, most notably in the north-east London neighborhood of Epping.

The Frontier Post

Recent Posts

China’s support for multilateralism is vital, says UN’s Guterres

TIANJIN, China (Reuters): China’s role in upholding multilateralism is fundamental, United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres…

7 hours ago

Thousands protest Israeli siege of Gaza near Venice Film Festival

VENICE (AFP): Thousands protested Saturday against Israel’s siege of Gaza on the sidelines of the…

7 hours ago

UNRWA warns of ‘lost generation’ as 660,000 Gaza children remain out of school

GAZA CITY (AA): The UN agency for Palestinian refugees (UNRWA) sounded the alarm on Saturday…

7 hours ago

Trump cancels India visit as US-India tensions escalate over tariffs

WASHINGTON (Web Desk): US-India relations have hit a new low after President Donald Trump canceled…

7 hours ago

NCCIA expands probe into YouTuber Ducky Bhai for promoting gambling apps

F.P. Report LAHORE: The National Cyber Crime Investigation Agency (NCCIA) has expanded the scope of…

7 hours ago

Israeli actress Gadot will stay away from Venice Film Festival amid Gaza protests

(Web Desk) : Israeli actress Gal Gadot is staying away from the Venice Film Festival…

7 hours ago

This website uses cookies.