Categories: Pakistan

More than 60,000 Pakistanis apply for Hajj despite coronavirus fears

ISLAMABAD (Monitoring Desk): Detailing a count of the total Hajj applications received in the past one week, Ministry of Religious Affairs Spokesperson Imran Siddiqui said on Sunday that more than 60,000 Pakistanis had expressed an interest to perform the pilgrimage this year.

The huge number is despite the fears arising from the deadly coronavirus outbreak that has killed over 2,900 across the globe, with 4 confirmed cases reported in Pakistan.

To facilitate interested pilgrims, Pakistan’s central bank has directed 13 authorized banks to remain open on Saturdays and Sundays. The banks began accepting applications on February 25, with March 6 set as the final day for the registration process.

Late last month, the federal cabinet approved the Hajj Policy 2020 under which 179,210 pilgrims are expected to perform Hajj this year. Sixty percent of those will be part of a government-facilitated Hajj scheme while 40 percent will avail the services of private operators.

The Hajj registration process follows a temporary ban on Umrah pilgrims by Saudi Arabia on February 27, in an attempt to ensure public safety and prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

Commenting on the move, Saudi Ambassador to Islamabad Nawaf bin Said Al-Malki – in a meeting with Pakistan’s Religious Affairs’ Minister, Noor-ul-Haq Qadri – said on Friday that the Kingdom had only imposed a temporary travel ban which would be lifted as soon as the authorities were able to devise an appropriate mechanism for pilgrims’ safety.

The Frontier Post

Recent Posts

UK-Germany-France triumvirate returning to prominence

Andrew Hammond French President Emmanuel Macron, German Chancellor Friedrich Merz and Polish Prime Minister Donald…

2 hours ago

How to use AI without losing our minds

Ngaire Woods The recent launches of Gemini Deep Think and GPT-5 have highlighted the rapid…

2 hours ago

Govt keeps petrol price unchanged, slashes diesel’s by Rs3 per litre

F.P. Report ISLAMABAD: Pakistan government on Sunday kept the petrol price unchanged for the next…

2 hours ago

Trump says he plans unconstitutional executive order to mandate ID for voters

WASHINGTON: Donald Trump has said he will issue an executive order to mandate identification for…

2 hours ago

Dominik Szoboszlai’s wonder strike sinks Arsenal and sends Liverpool top

LONDON : If Liverpool are to successfully defend their Premier League title, they will look…

2 hours ago

Govt announces closure of Utility Stores Corporation

F.P. Report ISLAMABAD : Federal Minister for Parliamentary Affairs Dr. Tariq Fazal Chaudhary Sunday announced…

2 hours ago

This website uses cookies.