Categories: Technology

Musk sought Zuckerberg help for OpenAI bid, court filing shows

(Reuters): Elon Musk sought to bring rival Mark Zuckerberg into the $97.4 billion bid his consortium made for OpenAI earlier this year, but the Meta Platforms CEO did not come on board, the ChatGPT maker said in a court filing on Thursday.

OpenAI said Musk had communicated with Zuckerberg about potential financing arrangements or investments in connection with his bid, according to the court filing.

The company said Musk had disclosed his communications with Zuckerberg about the company during sworn interrogations.

Musk, whose xAI competes with OpenAI, could not immediately be reached for comment. xAI did not respond to a request for comment outside regular business hours.

OpenAI requested a federal judge to order Meta to produce documents and communications related to any bid for OpenAI, and those “concerning any actual or potential restructuring or recapitalization of OpenAI.”

“Meta’s communications with other bidders, or internal communications, including those reflecting discussions with Musk or other bidders, would also shed light on the motivations for the bid,” OpenAI said, calling Musk and Meta two of its most significant competitors.

Meta, in the same court filing, said OpenAI should seek any relevant documents directly from Musk and his AI startup, and asked the judge to deny OpenAI’s motion.

“Meta’s own communications concerning OpenAI’s restructuring or recapitalization (even as narrowed) are not relevant to this action,” Meta added in the court filing.

Earlier in August, U.S. District Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers ruled that Musk must face OpenAI’s claims that the billionaire, through press statements, social media posts, legal claims and “a sham bid for OpenAI’s assets,” attempted to harm the AI startup.

Tesla boss Musk sued OpenAI and its CEO Sam Altman last year over the company’s transition to a for-profit model, after which OpenAI counter-sued Musk in April this year.

A jury trial has been scheduled for spring 2026.

The Frontier Post

Recent Posts

Punjab floods: 33 dead, thousands rescued, risk rising in next 24 hours

F.P. Report LAHORE : Director General of Punjab Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA) Irfan Ali…

2 minutes ago

Fake Facebook account of Sindh Home Minister exposed

F.P. Report KARACHI : A fake Facebook account operating in the name of Sindh Home…

2 minutes ago

Three dead, as many injured in Nankana roof collapse

F.P. Report NANKANA SAHIB : Three persons were killed and as many injured in a…

4 minutes ago

Pakistan beat UAE by 31 runs for second win in T20 tri-series

SHARJAH (AFP): Saim Ayub and Hasan Nawaz struck half-centuries as Pakistan thumped the United Arab…

12 minutes ago

Israel army strikes Hezbollah site in south Lebanon

JERUSALEM (AFP): The Israeli army said it carried out a strike on a site run…

15 minutes ago

Pacifist Japan struggles to boost troops as China anxiety grows

NAHA, Japan (AFP) : Sporting dark face paint and clutching a gun, teenage soldier-in-training Takuma…

16 minutes ago

This website uses cookies.