Naqeebullah case: Rao Anwar sent to jail on judicial remand till May 2

F.P. Report

KARACHI: Former SSP Rao Anwar, the prime accused in the extrajudicial killing of a Waziristan native, was sent to jail on judicial remand on Saturday till May 2 by an anti-terrorism court (ATC).

Another key suspect in the case, Shakeel Feroz, was also sent on judicial remand by the court.

Anwar – who surrendered before the Supreme Court last month after playing hide and seek with the authorities in the wake of Waziristan native Naqeebullah’s murder in January – also recorded his statement before the JIT and blamed at least two subordinates for the killing.

The JIT, constituted on orders of the apex court, was expected to submit its report in the case today, however, no official from the team was present in court.

The report is yet to be submitted in court. While being whisked away, the suspended police official said to media, “Let the JIT come, they will tell you the truth”.

Investigation Officer Dr Rizwan also confirmed to the media that no member of the JIT reached court and that the police report in the case will be submitted on May 2.

Earlier, it was reported that the JIT has also recorded statements of two of the four people who were abducted and released by Anwar’s team members.

There are also reports that the JIT has agreed to Anwar’s demand not to appeal for his further remand. An officer from the investigating team told the media that Anwar’s one-month remand has ended and further remand will not be demanded.

Rao Anwar and his team went into hiding weeks after killing of Naqeebullah Mehsud and three others in a staged encounter at Karachi’s Shah Latif locality on January 13.  Anwar had earlier claimed that the men gunned down were terrorist associated with the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan and Islamic State.

A murder case with the clause of the anti-terrorism act was registered against SSP Anwar and his team after a three-member inquiry committee headed by Additional IG CTD Sanaullah Abbasi found them guilty.