KABUL: US Forces in Afghanistan have rejected the killing of Afghan security personnel in airstrike in the Azrah district of central Logar province, according to a statement on Thursday.
However, a statement from US forces in Afghanistan on Thursday said, “Following a review of footage from the strike conducted by US Forces-Afghanistan in support of Afghan operations and in defense of Afghan forces in Azrah district, Logar province, August 7, we have determined that no Afghan security force members were killed,”
The footage clearly depicts an attack on an Afghan security force observation post by a group of fighting-aged males using multiple heavy weapons and tactics, techniques and procedures employed by the Taliban from an open position on a ridgeline above the observation post.
Both the enemy and friendly locations were verified and cleared by Afghan security forces on the ground, through the regional coordination center, which is located with the 203rd Corps operations center, prior to the strike.
Our determination is also supported by first-hand accounts from Afghan security force leaders and members present during the incident, who confirmed those firing upon them were Taliban members.”
On Tuesday, the Ministry of Interior said a US forces’ airstrike which had been called in mistakenly hit an Afghan police outpost, killing 14 personnel.
A day earlier, Abdul Wali Wakeel, a member of the Provincial Council of Logar province said, four civilians, 16 security officials and 31 Taliban militants dead and eight civilians, 26 security forces and 40 insurgents wounded in the recently launched operation in Azrah district that ended on Wednesday.