Top Stories

NZ mosques attack: Martyred Pakistanis laid to rest in Christchurch graveyard

Written by The Frontier Post

F.P. Report

ISLAMABAD: Foreign Office spokesperson Dr Mohammad Faisal has said that eight Pakistanis, who were martyred last week in New Zealand terror attack at mosques, have been laid to rest in Christchurch graveyard, on Friday.

According to reports, at least 5000 people attended the funeral prayers in Christchurch city.

FO spokesperson said in the Twitter message that the funeral prayers were also joined by more than 20 family members of the martyrs who flew from Pakistan while their travel arrangements were facilitated by the Foreign Office (FO) and New Zealand government.

The body of Syed Areeb Ahmed would be repatriated to Pakistan in next few days and the martyr’s family was being kept informed, the spokesperson said.

The Pakistani High Commissioner and diplomatic staff members remained in Christchurch for providing assistance to the bereaved families.

On March 20, Pakistani High Commissioner to New Zealand, Dr Abdul Malik, has confirmed that eight martyrs who belong to Pakistan will be buried in New Zealand while the body of one will be repatriated to the home.

A Syrian refugee and his son had been buried in New Zealand in the first funerals of those killed in the twin mosque massacre as Kiwis braced for days of emotional farewells following the mass slayings.

Hundreds of mostly Muslim mourners gathered at morning at a cemetery not far from Linwood Mosque, the second of the two places of worship targeted.

There they prayed and laid to rest Khalid Mustafa and his 15-year-old son Hamza, their names broadcast over a loudspeaker.

The family arrived last year as refugees from the Syrian maelstrom only to find tragedy in a land where they had sought sanctuary.

About the author

The Frontier Post