Top Stories

OSCE calls on Armenia and Azerbaijan to de-escalate situation

Written by The Frontier Post

YEREVAN (RIA Novosti): The OSCE Chairman-in- Office , Swedish Foreign Minister Ann Linde called on Yerevan and Baku to take immediate steps to de-escalate the situation at the border.
“I share the deep concern of the co-chairs of the Minsk Group (OSCE on the settlement of the Karabakh conflict – ed.) In connection with reports of incidents in the region, including along the Armenian-Azerbaijani border. I express my full support for their efforts and call on the parties to immediate de-escalation and steps to resolve unresolved issues, “- wrote Linda on Twitter.
Earlier on Tuesday, the sides began local battles on the border.
Yerevan states that 12 Armenian servicemen were captured.
“The intensity of hostilities has not decreased. As a result of the retaliatory actions of the Armenian side, the enemy has large losses of personnel, about a dozen units of armored vehicles are destroyed or disabled. The Armenian side also has losses. Data is being checked. 12 servicemen of the Armed Forces of Armenia were taken prisoner – seven contract soldiers , five conscripts, “the message says.
According to the statement of the Armenian military department, the Azerbaijani Armed Forces use artillery, armored vehicles and firearms of various calibers.
The Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry blamed Armenia for the deliberate escalation of tensions on the border. The foreign ministry of the republic issued a corresponding statement on Tuesday.
“In recent days, there has been a deliberate commission of provocations on the part of the Armenian side,” the Azeri Foreign Ministry said in a statement. the road leading to the positions of the Azerbaijani army in the Lachin region, as well as the intensive shelling of the Armenian military positions of the Azerbaijani Armed Forces in the Kel-bajar and Lachin regions show that the Armenian side is purposefully aggravating the situation. “
The statement also notes that the above “testifies to Armenia’s lack of interest in ensuring peace and security in the region, as well as the delimitation of borders with Azerbaijan.” “We emphasize that the tension in the region is another military-political provocation of Armenia. The main responsibility for this lies directly with the military-political leadership of Armenia,” the statement says.
Baku reported that Armenian forces were shelling its positions at several points at once. In particular, border posts were attacked, as a result of which two servicemen were injured. In response, an “urgent operation” was allegedly carried out, following which the Armenian military was detained and disarmed. However, shelling continued with the use of artillery.
In response, Yerevan announced an Azerbaijani provocation. There, Baku was also accused of using not only artillery, but also armored vehicles, which were allegedly lost as a result of the retaliatory actions of the Armenian military. Armenia reported on the continuation of local fighting on the border, as a result of which at least four people were injured. In addition, Yerevan reports about the dead and the loss of two more stronghold army posts. According to the country’s military department, 12 Armenian servicemen were captured.
Russia is in contact with the Azerbaijani and Armenian sides for an early transfer of the situation on the border of these countries to a peaceful channel. This was reported on Tuesday by TASS in the Russian Foreign Ministry.
“We are in contact with the parties for an early transfer of the situation to a peaceful channel,” the Russian diplomatic service said.

About the author

The Frontier Post