Categories: Top Stories

Philippine, Indian navies begin first joint South China Sea patrols

MANILA (AFP) : Indian Navy warships have begun patrolling areas of the disputed South China Sea with their Philippine counterparts for the first time, Manila’s military said Monday.

The two-day sail includes three Indian vessels and started Sunday, a day ahead of Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos’ scheduled trip to New Delhi for talks with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

The Philippines has heightened defense cooperation with a range of allies over the past year after a series of clashes in the contested waterway.

Beijing claims nearly the entirety of the South China Sea despite an international ruling that its assertion has no legal basis.

India’s naval vessels arrived in Manila for a port visit late last week.

The patrol “started yesterday afternoon, then it’s ongoing up to this moment… the activity at the moment is replenishment at sea,” Lt. Col. John Paul Salgado told AFP.

While in India, Marcos is expected to sign pacts in such fields as law, culture and technology, according to Foreign Affairs Assistant Secretary Evangeline Ong Jimenez-Ducrocq, but all eyes will be on any potential defense agreements.

The Philippines has previously purchased BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles from India, a weapon which has a top speed of 3,450 kilometers (2,140 miles) per hour.

India, which has engaged in border clashes with China in the Himalayas, is a member of the so-called Quad, a group that includes fellow democracies the United States, Japan and Australia.

Beijing has repeatedly alleged that the four-way partnership, first conceived by late Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe, was created as a way of containing China.

The Frontier Post

Recent Posts

The hidden cost of going soft on white-collar crime

Martin Weinstein In the last few weeks alone, I have come across two striking instances…

3 hours ago

Alizeh Shah reveals suffering from PTSD, regrets being part of showbiz industry

(Web Desk) : Actress Alizeh Shah has revealed that the harsh experiences in the showbiz…

3 hours ago

Cricketer Shadab Khan, wife welcome first baby girl

(Web Desk): All-rounder Shadab Khan has announced the birth of his first child, a baby…

3 hours ago

Hanoi’s ‘train street’ lures tourists despite safety fears

HANOI (AFP): Tourists snatch arms and legs away from a passing train in Hanoi, shrinking…

3 hours ago

Zverev knocked out in US Open third round

NEW YORK (AFP): Third seed Alexander Zverev crashed out in the US Open third round…

4 hours ago

Weight loss drugs can halve heart patients’ risk of early death, study finds

MADRID: Weight loss drugs can reduce by half the risk of heart patients being hospitalised…

4 hours ago

This website uses cookies.