F.P. Report
LAHORE : Director General of Punjab Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA) Irfan Ali Kathia said on Sunday Punjab is currently experiencing one of the worst floods in its history.
At Head Balloki, the River Ravi is reaching peak levels, and the risk could increase further in the next 24 hours. So far, 33 deaths have been recorded due to the floods in Punjab.
During a briefing on the flood situation, DG Kathia said that the main flood stream of the Ravi is passing through Head Balloki, which may submerge more villages in Khanewal, Okara, and surrounding areas. Water flow is also increasing in villages across Okara, Sahiwal, Kamalia, Khanewal, and Kabirwala. By tomorrow, 135,000 cusecs of water is expected to reach Pakpattan, Bahawalnagar, and Vehari.
He added that the flow of the Sutlej River has decreased, with 154,000 cusecs of water present at Head Sulemanki and 100,000 cusecs in the Bahawalpur region. At present, a stream of 260,000 cusecs is passing through Kasur.
According to him, water levels are receding in the Sutlej River at Kasur, but more villages may still be affected. The flood stream is expected to impact Bahawalnagar and Bahawalpur as well.
At Trimmu Headworks, water inflow has increased by 100,000 cusecs. By tomorrow, 135,000 cusecs of water is expected at Head Islam. At Head Sulemanki, water levels are projected to reach 175,000 cusecs by this evening, marking peak flood conditions there.
DG Kathia further stated that so far, more than 700,000 people have been rescued. Boats have also been arranged to rescue livestock, which are now available in all districts. In the next 5–6 days, once the water recedes, rescue operations will accelerate. The spell of heavy rain across Punjab, including Lahore, is expected to continue until September 2.
The River Chenab’s major flood stream is passing near the city’s protective embankments.
According to the Flood Forecasting Division:
Authorities confirmed continuous monitoring at all critical points.
In Hafizabad, rescue teams saved two citizens who were swept away by floodwaters. One man was rescued with his car after being trapped.
In Sahiwal, pressure on the Orangi embankment along the Ravi River caused a breach, but water was diverted toward agricultural land, sparing residential areas. Relief camps have been established for affected people.
Punjab Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz announced that over 600,000 people and 450,000 animals have been shifted to safe locations. She praised local authorities for draining 12 feet of water from the Kartarpur corridor within 24 hours.
She directed that school buildings may be used as temporary shelters, communication networks in flood-hit areas be restored immediately, and timely evacuations ensured in Multan, Okara, Toba Tek Singh, Sahiwal, and Rahim Yar Khan.
Due to flooding, flight operations at Sialkot Airport have been temporarily suspended. Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) has shifted all operations to Lahore Airport and advised passengers to contact its call center for assistance.
The provincial government has activated a Rain and Flood Emergency Monitoring Cell in Karachi, which operates 24/7 to handle complaints and forward them to relevant departments.
The Livestock Department has established 300 vaccination camps across Sindh, while Rescue 1122 teams have been deployed in Sukkur, Larkana, Nawabshah, Hyderabad, and Dadu. Provincial ministers are also visiting affected areas.
Authorities have urged residents in low-lying “katcha” areas to relocate to safe zones and cooperate with rescue teams to minimize loss of life.
PDMA Punjab warned that over 70,000 cusecs of water could flow in from India in the coming days, worsening the flood situation in Kasur and Multan.
The Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) and cellular mobile operators (CMOs) announced free voice minutes for residents of flood-hit areas. This initiative will help people stay connected with loved ones and access emergency services, even without mobile balance.
PTA said telecom services in flood-affected areas are being closely monitored to ensure uninterrupted communication.
According to the Deputy Commissioner Lahore, all schools in the city will reopen from September 1, except for 45 schools in flood-hit areas, which have been converted into relief camps.
The notification lists 33 government and 12 private schools that will remain closed, including Central Model School on Rattigan Road, as well as schools in Maraka, Manga, Chohang, Shadab Colony, Saggian, Targarh Shahdara, Band Road Shafiqabad, Pari Mahal Shahdara, Thokar Niaz Baig, Shahpur Kanjran, Rangelpur, and Multan Road areas.
Jasim Al-Azzawi Over the past two years, Iran’s network of allies in the Middle East…
PARIS (AFP): French Prime Minister Francois Bayrou, who is fighting to keep his job in…
BEIRUT (AFP): Lebanon’s Speaker of Parliament Nabih Berri, an ally of the Iran-backed Hezbollah, called…
KHARTOUM (AFP): Shelling by Sudan’s Rapid Support Forces killed at least seven people and wounded…
Martin Weinstein In the last few weeks alone, I have come across two striking instances…
(Web Desk) : Actress Alizeh Shah has revealed that the harsh experiences in the showbiz…
This website uses cookies.