Categories: Arts and Literature

Roman bust seized in NYC probe into looting of Türkiye artefacts

ANKARA : A bronze bust believed to depict the daughter of an ancient Roman emperor has been seized from an art museum in Massachusetts by New York authorities investigating antiquities stolen from Türkiye.

The seizure is the latest in an ongoing investigation into a smuggling network involving objects looted from Bubon in southwestern Türkiye and trafficked through Manhattan. A spokesperson for Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg did not provide further details of the investigation.

The bust known as “Portrait of a Lady” was acquired in 1966 by the Worcester Art Museum about 64 kilometres west of Boston. The seizure comes weeks after the Manhattan district attorney’s office seized a statue thought to portray the Roman emperor and philosopher Marcus Aurelius from a Cleveland, Ohio, museum.

Worcester Art Museum officials said in a statement that the bust taken from their possession dates from A.D. 160 to 180 and is believed to be a life-sized portrayal of a daughter of Marcus Aurelius or another Roman emperor, Septimius Severus.

Museum officials said they had “limited information” about the bust’s history when they acquired it nearly six decades ago.

“We are very thankful for the new information provided to us,” said Matthias Waschek, the museum’s director. “The ethical standards applicable to museums are much changed since the 1960s, and the Museum is committed to managing its collection consistent with modern ethical standards.”

The bust shows a young woman with a heavy-lidded gaze and hair carefully combed into waves.

Marcus Aurelius ruled as Roman emperor from A.D. 161 to 180 and was a Stoic philosopher whose “Meditations” have been studied over the centuries. Septimius Severus’ reign from A.D. 193 to 211 was marked by his efforts to convert the government into a military monarchy.

Türkiye first made claims about the Marcus Aurelius statue in 2012 when it released a list of nearly two dozen objects in the Cleveland museum’s collection that it said had been looted from Bubon and other locations. Museum officials said at the time that Türkiye had provided no hard evidence of looting.

Courtesy: TRTWorld and agencies

The Frontier Post

Recent Posts

Uncertainty looms over launch of 5G services in country

(Web Desk): The future of 5G services in Pakistan has remained uncertain for the past…

3 minutes ago

Morocco tests floating solar panels to save water

TANGIER (AFP): Sun-baked Morocco, grappling with its worst drought in decades, has launched a pilot…

7 minutes ago

US would control Gaza, displace all its people under new plan: report

WASHINGTON (AFP): The entire population of Gaza would be relocated and the United States would…

10 minutes ago

Global economic crisis & climate change

Diamond-rich Botswana in Africa has run out of medical supplies in its public health system.…

55 minutes ago

SCO plays growing role in safeguarding peace: Xi

TIANJIN: President Xi Jinping said on Sunday that the Shanghai Cooperation Organization is shouldering greater…

1 hour ago

Von der Leyen says Europe has precise plans plan to send troops to Ukraine, Financial Times reports

(Reuters): Europe is drawing up "pretty precise plans" for a multinational troop deployment to Ukraine…

1 hour ago

This website uses cookies.