Top Stories

Russia says no plan to withdraw from OPCW

Written by The Frontier Post

THE HAGUE (TASS): Russia has no plans to withdraw from the OPCW and is determined to do everything it can to help the organization get back on track. This was stated on Friday at an online briefing by the permanent representative of the Russian Federation at the organization, Alexander Shulgin.

“We have not yet rea-ched such a point,” he said, answering the question of whether the Russian Feder-ation is ready to withdraw from the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW).

“We stood at the origins of the organization and took part in the development of the Convention on the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons,” the diplomat noted. “And until recently, the OPCW was a very successful organization. Unfo-rtunately, the situation has changed in recent years. the technical secretariat looks like a pale shadow of itself with a high level of politicization, disintegration and dividing lines.”

“We need to do something about this,” Shulgin stressed. “We have lost the habit of making decisions on the basis of consensus. This is a very sad situation.”

“Our duty, the duty of all responsible states, is to help the organization restore its reputation and act in accordance with its original tasks – to help free the world from chemical weapons and prevent their reappearance,” the permanent representative added. “And Russia will do everything possible. to help the organization get back on track.”

Russia expects new attacks from Western countries at the upcoming Conference of the States Parties to the OPCW, which will be held in The Hague from November 29 to December 3, said Shulgin.

According to him, the Russian side “expects new attacks”, including on the situation with Alexei Navalny. “But we are ready for this and are ready to respond to these attacks,” the diplomat emphasized.

Continuing the topic of Navalny, the permanent representative noted that Russia is determined to continue to seek answers from Great Britain, Germ-any, France and Sweden regarding the circumsta-nces of the alleged poisoning. “We were disappointed with the answers provided earlier by our partners [on the situation around Navalny],” he said. “These were empty answers. But we continue to dialogue with partners. We have not stopped contact. We are committed to getting answers. to our questions. The question is whether our partners are ready for this. So far, the situation does not look promising.”

About the author

The Frontier Post

Leave a Reply