KARACHI: A non-Government organization on Wednesday filed a petition in the Sindh High Court, requesting court to transfer case of ‘knife attacker’ from ‘incompetent’ police to ‘competent’ Rangers and Federal Investigation Agency (FIA).
The applicant has submitted that by now thirteen women have been injured in knife attacks but police, instead of arresting the culprit, are announcing head money on him.
“The Rangers and FIA should be tasked to arrest the culprit and federal interior ministry should be directed to interfere in this case,” the petitioner has further requested.
Last Saturday, the Task of arresting Karachi’s knife attacker has been given to Counter Terrorism Department.
According to details, the Sindh Police Chief handed over the task of arresting the knife attacker to Counter Terrorism Department after the area police failed to have any clue of the man, who has spread fear across Karachi, especially the area of Gulistan-e-Jauhar and its adjacent neighborhoods.
The CTD started monitoring of Cameras and teams have been setup to reach to the attackers, but no result was seen till Wednesday.
Meanwhile, another man was arrested on last Saturday after which the number of arrested suspect surpassed fifteen a day earlier.
Chief Minister Sindh Syed Murad Ali Shah a day earlier claimed that the Karachi’s Knife attacker has been identified.
The attacker was previously arrested in Punjab, he said, adding; “We guess that the same person was identified in Punjab before.”
After talking to Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah on the phone a day earlier, Karachi police chief Additional IGP Mushtaq Mahar, announced an important arrest in connection with the attacks, but the tall claim fell flat when another woman was injured in Gulistan-e-Jauhar.
A 28-year-old woman was attacked near the Continental Bakery who was taken to the Darul Sehat Hospital (DSH).
Meanwhile, Lawmakers belonging to the Muttahida Qaumi Movement-Pakistan (MQM-P) on Friday staged a walkout from the Sindh Assembly session over increasing knife attacks in the port city.
The MQM demanded of home minister to resign.
Meanwhile, the University of Karachi (KU) on Friday prohibited wearing of helmet by bikers within its premises.
A day earlier, Spokesman Sindh Police refuted news reports that the assailant, who had wounded over dozen of women in knife attack, has been arrested.
“The attacker hasn’t been arrested yet,” spokesman told The Frontier Post while refuting earlier report quoting additional IG Mushtaq Mehar that police had been successful in an important arrest.
“We have arrested fifteen people since last day’s attacks but one of them is very important,” Mehar was quoted as saying.
Meanwhile, Five more girls were wounded in fresh knife attacks in Karachi late Wednesday, police said, which occurred over a span of three hours.
The latest attack took place at Gulshan Chowrangi, in which a 12-year-old girl was assaulted with a knife.
Late on Wednesday, the attacker first targeted a woman in the city’s Gulshan-e-Jamal area, followed by another attack near Dalmia road, the police said.
Within an hour of the two attacks, another woman — a student of Federal Urdu University of Arts Science and Technology — was attacked in the metropolis’ NIPA Chowrangi vicinity.
Over the next couple of hours, the assailant stabbed a 13-year-old girl In Gulshan-e-Iqbal area.
“My daughter was returning from the park when she was attacked,” the mother of the victim — a resident of Gulshan-e-Iqbal’s Welfare Colony — told the police.
“She was treated for the wound on her back at the Jinnah Post Graduate Medical Centre.”
The attacker seems to have posed a challenge to the law enforcement authorities, who are yet to nab the assailant.
The first incident, in the chain of attacks, was reported on September 25. Since then, a total of 13 attacks have been reported.
The First Information Report (FIR) of an attack on Shaheen on September 26 was registered by the police today (Wednesday), after repeated requests from the victim’s family.
“The police and other law enforcement agencies are constantly engaged in efforts to apprehend the attacker,” Sindh Information minister Syed Nasir Hussain Shah said. “These attacks will not continue for long and we will arrest this man within a day’s time.”
The incidents have sparked fear and panic among the residents of the metropolis, forcing women to take extra precautions before venturing out.