60688

The Department of State Breaks Ground on the New U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai, Thailand

F.P Report

WASHINGTON: Ambassador Michael George DeSombre, Consul General Sean K. O’Neill, Thai Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs Ambassador Vijavat Isarabhakdi, and Chiang Mai Governor Charoenrit Sanguansat broke ground today on the new U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai, Thailand during a concrete sign of the enduring U.S. – Thai alliance and friendship.

According to the spokesperson of Department of State, “The project is which is expected to be completed in 2023, will conduct U.S. diplomacy in northern Thailand through provision of a secure, modern, and resilient platform by the new U.S. Consulate General. Harbert International of Birmingham, AL is the construction contractor while Ennead Architects of New York, NY is the design architect for the project and B.L.”

The spokesperson further elaborated that; approximately 70% of the workforce will be recruited from the local labor pool employing an estimated 600 Americans, whereas the other 30% will comprise of Thai, and third-country nationals in order to provide them new skills that will help distinguish them from other construction workers in the local labor market. An estimate of $45 million will be invested in the local economy.

Over 162 new diplomatic facilities have been completed by Bureau of Overseas Buildings Operations (OBO) since its start in 1999 through U.S. Department of State’s Capital Security Construction Program and additional 51 projects are in design or under construction.

“OBO provides safe, secure, functional, and resilient facilities that represent the U.S. government to the host nation and support the Department’s achievement of U.S. foreign policy objectives abroad. These facilities represent American values and the best in American architecture, design, engineering, technology, sustainability, art, culture, and construction execution,” said the spokesperson.

Posted in