Troops Set To Re-Take Helmand’s Nawa District
HELMAND (TOLONews): Afghan security forces on Sunday continued their operation to re-take Nawa district of southern Helmand province and are now only two kilometers from the district governor’s compound, local officials said on Sunday.
The operation was launched early Saturday to re-capture Nawa which fell to the Taliban about nine months ago, Omar Zwak said.
“Security forces have re-taken [a stretch of] 10 kilometers of Nawa and only two kilometers to the district governor’s compound is left. The forces are advancing in the battle against the insurgents and so far 18 insurgents including their commanders have been killed,” Zwak said.
“One security force member was also killed in the clash with the Taliban and six others were wounded,” he said adding that “there are no civilian casualties. Our priorities are to prevent civilian casualties.” Zwak also said that foreign troops are supporting the Afghan security forces by carrying out airstrikes on the affected area.
“Our operation is moving a little slowly because of mines that have been placed by the insurgents along the roads. So far we have defused 150 mines but by the end of the day we will take control of the district,” he said.
TOLOnews reporter, Abdullah Hamim who is with the security forces says “the mines are a key issue for the security forces and [in addition to mines] they have recovered explosive devices and weapons during the operation.”