Categories: Global

Trump nominee withdraws over misconduct allegations

Monitoring Desk

WASHINGTON: President Trump’s pick to helm the Department of Veteran Affairs has withdrawn his nomination over a growing list of misconduct allegations, he said in a statement Thursday.

Rear Adm. Ronny Jackson has served as Trump’s personal physician, but his nomination had been hampered by charges of abusive behavior, over-prescribing drugs, and allegations he drank on the job. “Going into this process, I expected tough questions about how to best care for our veterans, but I did not expect to have to dignify baseless and anonymous attacks on my character and integrity,” he said in a lengthy statement distributed by the White House.

“The allegations against me are completely false and fabricated. If they had any merit, I would not have been selected, promoted and entrusted to serve in such a sensitive and important role as physician to three presidents over the past 12 years,” Jackson added.

Trump told Fox News the military doctor’s resignation was not unexpected, and he told Jackson “a day or two ago I saw where this was going”. “These are all false accusations,” Trump said in Jackson’s defense. “They are trying to destroy a man.”

Senator Jon Tester alleged Wednesday Jackson has developed a reputation as the “Candy man” within the White House for the way he would distribute prescriptions. Tester told CNN that reports to the Veterans Affairs Committee, where he serves as the top Democrat, allege that on overseas trips Jackson would “go down the aisle way of the airplane and say, ‘All right, who wants to go to sleep?’ And hand out the prescription drugs like they were candy … and put them to sleep and then give them the drugs to wake them back up again.”

He further said the reports allege Jackson had been drunk on an overseas trip with former President Barack Obama, calling into question his ability to treat the former president in the event of an emergency. Trump lashed out at Tester, saying the Montana Democrat “has to have a big price to pay”. Jackson is continuing his duties as Trump’s personal doctor, the White House confirmed. (AA)

The Frontier Post

Recent Posts

The hidden cost of going soft on white-collar crime

Martin Weinstein In the last few weeks alone, I have come across two striking instances…

3 hours ago

Alizeh Shah reveals suffering from PTSD, regrets being part of showbiz industry

(Web Desk) : Actress Alizeh Shah has revealed that the harsh experiences in the showbiz…

3 hours ago

Cricketer Shadab Khan, wife welcome first baby girl

(Web Desk): All-rounder Shadab Khan has announced the birth of his first child, a baby…

3 hours ago

Hanoi’s ‘train street’ lures tourists despite safety fears

HANOI (AFP): Tourists snatch arms and legs away from a passing train in Hanoi, shrinking…

3 hours ago

Zverev knocked out in US Open third round

NEW YORK (AFP): Third seed Alexander Zverev crashed out in the US Open third round…

3 hours ago

Weight loss drugs can halve heart patients’ risk of early death, study finds

MADRID: Weight loss drugs can reduce by half the risk of heart patients being hospitalised…

4 hours ago

This website uses cookies.