Verdict in Benazir Murder Case Disappointing, Unacceptable, says Bilawal
KARACHI: Chairman Pakistan People’s Party, Bilawal Bhutto Zardari, on Thursday said that the anti-terrorism court’s verdict in Benazir Bhutto Murder Case was “disappointing and unacceptable” and that his party will “explore legal options.”
In his reaction to the ATC decision handed down earlier on Thursday afternoon, Chairman PPP and son of former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto said that “the release of terrorists was not only unjust but also dangerous”.
“[The] SMBB case decision is disappointing & unacceptable. [The] release of terrorists [is] not only unjust but also dangerous. PPP will explore legal options,” Chairman PPP tweeted.
Bakhtawar Bhutto Zardari, elder daughter of the former prime minister said that former military dictator General (R) Pervez Musharraf had ordered to wash the crime scene and lock the doors trapping SMBB vehicle inside, so he should be arrested. Aseefa Bhutto-Zardari, the youngest of the siblings, said that “they were still awaiting justice”.
“10 years later and we still await justice. Abettors punished but those truly guilty of my mother’s murder roam free,” she said in a tweet on micro blogging social media website, adding there will be no justice till Pervez Musharraf answers for his crimes.
Human Rights Campaigner and Former Pakistan Director Human Rights watch, Ali Dayan Hasan, said that it was both shocking & bizarre that self-confessed murderers of Benazir Bhutto are acquitted after a decade-long trial.
An anti-terrorism court (ATC) in Rawalpindi announced the verdict on Thursday, acquitting five Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) suspects and announcing 17-year imprisonment for two police officials.
The ATC also declared retired Gen Pervez Musharraf an absconder in the case. Benazir was killed in a gun-and-bomb attack outside Rawalpindi’s Liaquat Bagh on Dec 27, 2007 when Musharraf was president.