London, Britain (Reuters): Along with offering a place in the tennis history books, the four Grand Slams – the biggest events on the tennis calendar – also provide serious financial incentives for the champions.
Here is what you need to know about the prize pot on offer at Wimbledon:
WHEN IS WIMBLEDON HAPPENING?
* The 2023 edition of Wimbledon runs from July 3-16.
WHAT IS THE TOTAL PRIZE FUND IN 2023?
* The total prize money is a record 44.7 million pounds ($57.29 million).
* It has increased by 11.2% from 2022.
* The Chairman of the All England Club, Ian Hewitt, said the goal is to “return the singles champions and runners-up prize money to the levels in 2019 prior to the (COVID-19) pandemic whilst, alongside, providing deserved support for players in the early rounds of the event.”
HOW MUCH WILL MEN’S AND WOMEN’S SINGLES PLAYERS EARN?
* First round: 55,000 pounds
* Second round: 85,000 pounds
* Third round: 131,000 pounds
* Round of 16: 207,000 pounds
* Quarter-finals: 340,000 pounds