Taliban attacks in Herat and Badghis pushed back

KABUL (Tolo News): Taliban attacks on the capital city of Herat province and Qal-e-Naw, the capital of Badghis, were pushed back by security forces, local officials said on Thursday. The Taliban attacked Herat city from four directions but faced a “huge response” from security and public uprising forces, said Abdul Saboor Qani, the provincial governor.
“At least 30 Taliban were killed and dozens of others were wounded,” Qani said, adding that “one security force member was also killed and four others were wounded.” “The air force also supported the local troops in fighting against the Taliban,” he said. Als, Afghan forces pushed back Taliban attacks on Qala-e-Naw, the capital of Badghis province, said provincial governor Hasamuddin Shams.
“At least 60 Taliban, including their four commanders, were killed in the clashes and 50 others were wounded,” he said. “Fighting still continues in some parts of the outskirts of Qala-e-Naw but the government forces have controlled the situation,” he said. He did not provide details about possible security forces’ casualties in the clashes.
The fighting started 25 days after local officials and the Taliban announced a ceasefire in the city brought about by mediation of tribal elders. Shams blamed the Taliban for breaking the ceasefire. The Taliban has not yet commented on the Badghis and Herat clashes.
Meanwhile, following the withdrawal of Afghan security forces from the centers of Farah, Badakhshan and Baghlan provinces, the Taliban captured Kunduz airport, which is also the center of the 217 Pamir Army Corps. This is the first time that the Taliban has taken over an army corps. Footage shared on social media shows dozens of security force members in Kunduz surrendering to the Taliban. The Taliban also appropriated a military helicopter in Kunduz, but the helicopter was out of service.
Sources said that after the evacuation of Faizabad, the center of Badakhshan province in the north, security forces attempted to reach Farkhar district in Takhar but they came under Taliban attack and sustained casualties. Following the fall of 9 provincial centers to the Taliban, the Afghan government has made some changes within the leadership of security forces.
Officials said that the the commander of 215 Maiwand Corps, Gen. Sami Sadat, has been appointed as commander of the Special Operations Corps, replacing Gen. Hibatullah Alizai. Gen. Hibatullah Alizai, the commander of the Special Operations Corps, has been appointed the chief of army staff, replacing Gen. Wali Ahmadzai Referring to the latest events in Kunduz, MP Shah Khan Sherzad said: “The airport and army corps fell to the Taliban with all their equipment.”
“There is a state of chaos and anarchy in Badakhshan, the people are very frightened, govertment vehicles were looted and transferred to unknown locations, public assets have been looted. Fayzabad prison was broken into and some inmates were killed,” said Atiqullah Zabih, MP. Fierce battles were also reported in Farah city. Officials said that the security forces are now deployed at Farah airport.
Footage shared on social media shows Taliban fighters dragging a wounded solder in Farah city while other people loot public property. Footage shows Taliban commanders appearing among the people in Fayzabad, Pul-e-Khumri and Farah city and announcing that the group will impose Sharia law. Local journalists in Takhar said that the Taliban has ordered the media to act based on Sharia law.
“If the Baghlan situation is not addressed, then north will be finished, there is need to take action about the north,” said Azim Mohseni, MP. Reports indicate that security forces evacuated Pul-e-Khumri city without putting up any resistance. This week the security forces evacuated the provincial centers of Takhar, Jawzjan, Sar-e-Pul and Samangan.
Taliban fighters have resumed operations against the southern city of Kandahar, eyewitnesses said as violence continues to surge in various regions of the country, particularly in the northeast. Residents in Kandahar province said the Taliban has penetrated areas in the city and some residents are fleeing their homes.
“The bazaar is at standstill. Now it is around 11:00 am, but no one is at the bazaar, the people have a lot of apprehension,” said Mohammadzai, a shopkeeper in Kandahar. “For God’s sake, for the Quran’s sake, what is our fault, where should we go? May God destroy you,” said an internally displaced citizen in Kandahar, Nida Mohammad.
In Helmand province, also in the south, fighting continues around the provincial capital of Lashkargah. A car bomb was detonated near the police headquarters in Lashkargah city. Reports say there were no casualties from the explosion. Residents in Helmand said that the security forces have not advanced against the Taliban. “The Taliban launched an attack on Lashkargah city of Helmand province,” said Khaled Wardak, Helmand’s police chief.
“Civilian institutions must be protected, the government should also be careful about airstrikes to help curb civilian casualties,” said Abdul Baseer Mohadadi, a resident of Helmand. In the southern province of Uruzgan, however, an official said that security forces repelled Taliban attacks on the capital city of Trinkot. “The Taliban attack faced strong resistance from our security forces,” said Uruzgan governor Mohammad Omar Sherzad.