KABUL: Commander of US Forces in Afghanistan, General John Nicholson has said US and Afghan forces targeted the Daesh stronghold in North of Afghanistan.
He said that the Afghan and US Special Operators disrupted Daesh capacity to terrorize the people in northern Afghanistan.
General Nicholson said this is in a statement which he issued on Friday. He added the terrorist organization were terrifying the local people by using foreign fighters and now the US forces had destroyed their capacity which they were using against the people.
Earlier on 28 January, Afghan forces captured Khitab Aka, Daesh’s head facilitator of foreign fighters in Jawzjan. Less than two months later, on Mar. 16, a US airstrike killed Aka’s replacements, Daesh commanders Omair and Abu Samaya, as the duo met in Sar-e Pul province, US Forces-Afghanistan Headquarters said in a statement on Thursday.
Nicholson claimed that Daesh fighters were in southern Nangarhar and most of the valleys have been liberated from IS-K: the populations returning, the kids going back into school.”
He added that there will be no safe haven for any terrorist group in Afghanistan as we are continues to hunt them across the country.