KARACHI: At least 90 people were hospitalised after a gas leakage was reported at a chemical plant of a private company situated in Karachi’s Port Qasim on Friday.
“Timely precautionary measures were taken to protect the employees working on the plant and the people in surrounding areas,” said an Engro Spokesperson.
“The affected were taken to the nearby hospital for medical aid and the plant has been temporarily closed.”
The spokesperson said that it would be premature to say that the gas leak was due to negligence and incident is under investigation.
“The situation is 100pc under control,” the spokesperson added. “There has been no death; no injuries and no one lost consciousness. All stakeholders of the company have been informed. Safety of our employees is the basic foundation of the company.”
According to reports, chlorine gas leaked from plant’s pipeline at about 10:30 in the morning.
Earlier February, at least 14 people died due to an unidentified gas leak Keamari locality of the port city.
Chemical and nuclear specialists from the armed forces were deployed to investigate the source of the deadly agent which had taken a toll on area’s residents.
The most affected neighbourhoods in the locality were Bhutta village, Jackson Market, Tara Chand road and GR Railway Colony.