Posted on

Hezb-e-Islami presence has prevented govt from collapse: Hekmatyar

Monitoring Desk

KABUL: Gulbudin Hekmatyar, leader of Hezb-e-Islami has claimed that his party presence has stopped the incumbent government from collapsing.

This he said while addressing to a gathering of tribal elders of the eastern provinces of Afghanistan on Wednesday.  Hekmatyar said that his party has no role in the government and they only signed a deal with government to end the war and bring peace in Afghanistan.

He added that his party will continue its support towards government for maintaining the peace in the area and in the better interest of the masses.

He criticized different political parties and claimed that these parties leaders are in power but in reality the public hated them and adding that his party has the support from all parts of the country which is very important for any political party.

 

Posted on

16 militants killed in separate operations: MoI

Monitoring Desk

KABUL: Ministry of Interior (MoI) has said at least 16 militants were killed in separate operations conducted in Farah and Nangarhar provinces.

MoI issued a statement in this regard and it said that Afghan security forces conducted operation against the militants in Bala Balok district of Farah province in which 12 Taliban fighters were killed.

The statement added that three local commanders of Taliban identified as Ahmad Shah, Asmatullah and Waheed were also killed in the operation and security forces cleared most of the area and recapture it from the Taliban fighters.

Meanwhile, four militants were also killed in airstrikes conducted in Batikot and Achin districts of Nangarhar province.

Posted on

US to send 3,000 more troops to Afghanistan: Jim Mattis

Monitoring Desk

WASHINGTON: The United States Defese Secretary, Jim Mattis has said US will send 3,000 more troops to Afghanistan with the aim to make sure to achieve the US targets regarding announcing the new policy for the region.

Mattis told this while talking to media persons that he is expecting to sign an order of sending the troops but he was not willing to share more details in this regard. Mattis added that about half of the new troops would be from the 82nd Airborne.

At the end of last month, Mattis told reporters the reinforcements would advise and “enable the Afghan forces to fight more effectively” against the Taliban and other terror groups in the country.

The additional 3,000 US troops would bring the total in country to about 14,000.

US troops in Afghanistan are on a two-fold mission – as part of a NATO-led operation to train and advise Afghan troops, and a counter-terrorism mission.

 

Posted on

Senior Taliban leader killed in Jawzjan province

Monitoring Desk

KABUL: A senior leaders of Taliban has been reportedly killed during the operation initiated by Afghan National Army (ANA) in Jawzjan province of Afghanistan on Tuesday.

ANA official told that military chief of Taliban identified as Aqcha Qari Noorullah was killed during the operation and also adding that he was also operating as the deputy chief of the Taliban for Jawzjan province.

The security situation has started became worsen in the recent years with the rampant attacks by the Taliban fighters in the area.

Posted on

Five civilian killed in IED blast

Monitoring Desk

KANDAHAR:  At least five civilians were killed and one other was injured in a Improvised Explosive Device (IED) bomb blast which was occurred in Daman district of Kandahar province.

An IED was blasted when a vehicle in Abdul Wahid village in Daman district ran over it in which five persons were died and one was injured.

The local official didn’t issue a statement or words about the incident.

Posted on

3000 people committed suicide every year

Monitoring Desk

KABUL: The Human Rights Commission has claimed that around 3000 people committed suicide every year because of poverty, ignorance, domestic violence, forced marriages and drugs in Afghanistan.

This was said to the conference by the Head of Independent Human Rights Commission, Qadrai Yazdan Parast has said they had registered around 3000 suicide attempts every year and most of committed suicide because of Psychological problems, poverty, joblessness, domestic violence, cultural restrictions, forced marriages and drugs were the main causes of rising incidents of suicide in the country, she added.

She added that the people committing suicide included 80 percent women and 20 percent men and most of them were between 14 to 20 age which is very alarming situation and government needs to work in this regard.

The interior ministry official said that the number of suicide cases is far more than 3000 figures. However, the health ministry said that, there were no specific tools to collect data about suicide attempts in Afghanistan and adding around 2300 deaths caused by suicide attempts were registered with hospitals every year.

 

Posted on

Nine ISIS members killed in airstrike

Monitoring Desk

NANGARGAR: At least nine militants of ISIS were killed in an airstrike conducted by Afghan Air Forces in Achin district eastern Nangarhar province on Sunday.

Ministry of Interior in a statement said that weapons and vehicles which were in use of the militants were also destroyed during the airstrike.

Meanwhile, Afghan National Police also foiled four IEDs plots in Nangarhar province on Sunday. It was reported that the IEDs were planted by the militants in Jalalabad city, Muhmand Dara and Bati Koot districts of Nangarhar province.

 

 

Posted on

Four killed in Afghan market explosion

KHOST (AFP): Four people were killed and 14 others wounded in an explosion at a mobile phone market in southeastern Afghanistan on Sunday, officials said, in the latest attack to hit the war-weary country.

The deadly blast comes as the Afghan government considers a plan to arm 20,000 civilians to fight the Taliban and other insurgent groups which have gained ground since US-led NATO combat troops left in 2014.

“The blast happened at around noon in a market where people go to download music and videos to their mobile phones,” Khost provincial police chief Faizullah Khairat told AFP.

He said the explosion was caused by a “remote-controlled bomb”.

Khost health department director Habib Shah Ansari confirmed four people had been killed and said “over a dozen wounded” had been taken to hospitals in the provincial capital of the same name.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack but the volatile province bordering Pakistan is contested by the Taliban.

Music was one of the many forms of entertainment banned during the Taliban´s 1996-2001 rule and the militants have previously attacked such markets.

The province has come under attack by the Taliban in recent months.

As Ramadan began on May 27, a Taliban car bomber targeted a CIA-funded Afghan militia group, leaving 13 people dead and six injured in Khost.

It was the deadliest Ramadan since the US-led invasion in 2001 with over 200 killed and hundreds wounded, according to an AFP count based on official figures, underscoring the deteriorating security situation.

Afghan security forces have been struggling to beat back a resurgent Taliban, which last month vowed to make Afghanistan a “graveyard” for foreign forces after US President Donald Trump made an open-ended commitment to keep American boots on the ground.

As it searches for a security quick fix, the Afghan government is considering a proposal to train and arm civilians to defend territories where Islamic militants have been driven out.

The plan has sparked concern the local forces could become another thuggish militia and end up terrorising and abusing the people they are supposed to defend.

In Afghanistan, militias — private armies and government-backed armed groups — have a long and chequered history and many Afghans are wary of them.

“The Afghan government´s expansion of irregular forces could have enormously dangerous consequences for civilians,” said Patricia Gossman, a senior researcher at Human Rights Watch.

Posted on

Ghani to meet Trump at UN

Monitoring Desk

KABUL: Afghan president Ashraf Ghani is expected to meet with US President Donald Trump to discuss the implementation of America’s new strategy for Afghanistan.
The Presidential Palace (ARG) on Sunday said that war on terrorism and threats emerging from terror hideouts and safe havens will be key points in President Ashraf Ghani’s address to the 72nd session of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in New York which is set to begin on Tuesday.
According to ARG, the president will also hold talks with US officials on the expansion and continuity of cooperation between Afghanistan and the US with special focus on the issue of peace and security in the country.
Ghani is expected to address the UN General Assembly on Tuesday.
The main points of the president’s speech would be peace, security, war on terrorism and the stance of Afghanistan on the issue of terror hideouts and training camps, deputy presidential spokesman Dawa Khan Menapal said on Sunday.
“At the summit, the president of Afghanistan will discuss with participants the issue of threats emerging from terrorism and the cooperation of regional (countries) and the world in the fight against terrorism,” said Menapal.
But Afghans want the president to take advantage of the opportunity and raise the issue of leaders of terrorist groups operating inside Pakistani territory.
“In the session the Afghan government needs to tell the world about where the terror roots are and where they (insurgents) are being trained and equipped,” said head of Rights and Justice Party Moeen Samkani.
Meanwhile some lawmakers in parliament said the president should also focus on the role of regional nations during the UN summit so as to expand regional cooperation to help restore sustainable peace and security in the country.

Posted on

15 Taliban fighters Killed in AAF strikes: MoI

Monitoring Desk

KABUL: Ministry of Interior (MoI) claimed that at least 15 Taliban fighters were killed and 11 others were injured in airstrike conducted Afghan Air Force (AAF) against them in the Urzugan province.

MoI issued a statement in this regard on Sunday and it added that AAF initiated airstrikes in Khas Urzugan district and targeted two stronghold of Taliban in which 15 Taliban fighters were killed and 11 other were injured.

Three vehicles, nine motorcycles, two bases and cache of weapons were also destroyed in the airstrikes, statement added.

At least 15 Taliban insurgents were killed in Afghan Air Force (AAF) airstrikes in central Uruzgan province on Saturday, the Ministry of Interior (MoI) said in a statement on Sunday.

The Taliban has not yet commented over the attack.