KARACHI: As a part of an ongoing anti-encroachment operation, over 150 more shops will be razed in the Korangi area of the metropolis on Thursday (today).
According to details, the anti-encroachment cell will reach the site with heavy machinery at 5:30 pm today. The shops established on Korangi’s nullah will be demolished during the operation.
Following the directives of the Supreme Court, the anti-encroachment drive in the port city has been effectively going for months now, however, it has drawn mixed reactions from politicians and civil rights activists alike.
Last month, Karachi mayor Waseem Akhtar claimed that his former colleagues were threatening him of attempt on his and his children’s life over initiating the anti-encroachment operation in Karachi.
He resolved to continue the anti-encroachment operation without any discrimination despite life threats.
It is pertinent to mention here that Waseem Akhtar, on December 12, had said that if political parties were well wishers of the city then there would have been no encroachments in the metropolitan.
Cautioning all owners behind encroachments to make their arrangements, he had said, the Supreme Court has given clear directives and no one will be allowed to unlawfully grab the land again.
The orders of the Supreme Court is in the light of Article 189, and its execution is mandatory for all institutions, the Mayor Karachi added.