Posted on

PTI will prove policy change in 100 days if came in power: Imran Khan

F.P. Report

ISLAMABAD: Chairman Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf Imran Khan said on Sunday that he will present the 100 days plane after winning election and will prove that 100 days is enough to bring change in the country.

Addressing to a seminar here at Islamabad on Sunday Imran Khan said that PTI will present its 100 days plane to bring change , adding that 100 days enough to bring change and they will prove if they were came to power in the next general election.

He further informed that the preparation in 2013 election was not good experience for PTI but this time the PTI is in a good position to prepare for the next general election.

He said that for the first time, the PTI has prepared for elections in such a manner, adding that in the last elections the party was busy conducting intra-party polls.

The PTI chief said the purpose of the plan is to depoliticize the bureaucracy. Imran Khan further said that his party wants to make Pakistan a welfare state. Irman Khan said that they have a good experience in KP and now the time came to use that experience for the entire country.

Earlier in the ceremony, the PTI leaders spoke to the gathering and revealed details of the plan. The 100-day plan presents the idea of generating 10 million jobs within five years. It also aims to give complete autonomy to Southern Punjab.

 

 

Posted on

Dr. Ruqayya resigned over the un-seriousness of Baluchistan lawmakers

F.P. Report

QUETTA: Dr. Ruqayya Hashmi adviser to Baluchistan Chief Minister on finance has resigned due to the behavior of certain lawmakers of Baluchistan Assembly.

Sources said that Ruqayya Hashmi has sent her resignation to Baluchistan Governor Muhammad Khan Achakzai.

Sources said that Dr Hashmi decided to resign after an altercation which resulted over disagreement with some lawmakers on certain aspects of the budget.

However, the government was trying to convince her to take the resignation back till this report was filed, sources said. During the session, she spoke about the deficit and allocations made to various sectors of the province.

Posted on

Pakistan will raise the issue of Kishanganga Dam with World Bank

F.P. Report

WASHINGTON: Pakistani Ambassador in the United State Azaz Chaudhry has said that Pakistan will raise the issue of Kishanganga Dam construction issue made by India with the World Bank.

This he said in a seminar titled ‘Pakistan and Unites States A Lasting Partnership’.

Speaking in the context of issues pertaining to Islamabad’s eastside neighbor, Chaudhry said the country intends to take up plans of Indus Waters Treaty (alternatively known as the Sindh Taas Agreement), Kishanganga Dam, and Ratle Hydroelectric Plant with Jim Yong Kim, the president of the global financial institution.

The statements come in response to Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurating Kishanganga Dam project on Saturday amid protests from Pakistan, which says the project on a river flowing into Pakistan will disrupt water supplies.

The 330MW Kishanganga hydropower station, work on which started in 2009, is one of the projects that India has fast-tracked in the volatile state amid frosty ties between the nuclear-armed countries.

“This region cannot only become self-sufficient in power but also produce for other regions of the country,” Modi said in the state´s capital, Srinagar. “Keeping that in mind we have been working on various projects here for the past four years.” Pakistan has opposed some of these projects, saying they violate a World Bank-mediated treaty on the sharing of the Indus River and its tributaries upon which 80 percent of its irrigated agriculture depends.

“Pakistan is seriously concerned about the inauguration (of the Kishanganga plant),” its Foreign Ministry said in a statement on Friday. “Pakistan believes that the inauguration of the project without the resolution of the dispute is tantamount to violation of the Indus Waters Treaty (IWT)”.

The Kishanganga project was delayed for several years as Pakistan dragged India to the International Court of Arbitration, which ruled in India’s favour in 2013. India has said the hydropower projects underway in Jammu and Kashmir are “run-of-the-river” schemes that use the river’s flow and elevation to generate electricity rather than large reservoirs, and do not contravene the treaty.

 

Posted on

US, China agree to ditch trade war: Beijing

Monitoring Desk

BEIJING: Washington and Beijing have agreed to abandon any trade war and back off from imposing tariffs on each other, Chinese state media reported Sunday.

The announcement came after high-level talks in the US capital and followed months of tensions over what President Donald Trump has blasted as an unfair commercial relationship between the two economic giants.

Vice-Premier Liu He, who led Chinese negotiators in Washington said: “The two sides reached a consensus, will not fight a trade war, and will stop increasing tariffs on each other,” state-run news agency Xinhua reported Sunday.

Liu called the agreement a “necessity”, but added: “At the same time it must be realised that unfreezing the ice cannot be done in a day, solving the structural problems of the economic and trade relations between the two countries will take time.”

An earlier joint statement issued in Washington said Beijing would “significantly” increase its purchases of American goods, but offered few details.

The apparent detente comes after months of increasing tensions that have set markets on edge over fears of a damaging trade war.

Trump has repeatedly railed against his country´s trade deficit with China, describing it as a danger to US national security and threatening to impose tariffs on billions of dollars´ worth of Chinese goods.

US levies on $50 billion of Chinese imports could have come into effect as early as next week. The talks in Washington were between delegations led by US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and Liu, who also met Thursday with Trump. The sides had met earlier in Beijing.

“There was a consensus on taking effective measures to substantially reduce the United States trade deficit in goods with China,” the joint statement said.

“To meet the growing consumption needs of the Chinese people and the need for high-quality economic development, China will significantly increase purchases of United States goods and services.”

Last year, the United States had a $375.2 billion trade deficit with China, with populist politicians blaming the Asian powerhouse for the leeching of American jobs over the last few decades.

Washington reportedly had demanded the deficit be slashed by at least $200 billion by 2020. However, the joint statement held no indication that China had assented to that target.

It said both sides had agreed on “meaningful increases” in US agriculture and energy exports. Liu said the new trade cooperation would extend to medical care, high-tech products, and finance, according to Xinhua.

They also agreed to strengthen cooperation on protecting intellectual property — a long-standing source of US discontent.

The two countries, their economies enormously interlinked, opened the delicate negotiations a few weeks ago.

Trump had threatened China with tariffs on up to $150 billion of imports, prompting Beijing to warn it would target US agricultural exports, aircraft, and even whiskey.

 

 

Posted on

Scorching heat wave engulf Karachi and Interior Sindh

F.P. Report

KARACHI: The scorching heat wave in the city of Karachi and other area of entire Sindh has made the life miserable for the people during Ramazan.

Pakistan Metrological Department head Dr. Ghulam Rasool said that the weather touched 41 C in the noon on Sunday while from Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday the Mercury of the temperature will be further increase.

He further said that not only in Karachi but in the interior Sindh the heat weave and the temperature may be reach to 50 C which can affect the life of the people.

The official attributed the soaring temperatures to a halt in sea breeze which allowed the heatwave — that rode into the city on Saturday — to continue for four or more days.

In particular, temperatures may touch the extreme in Sibi, Jacobabad, Larkana, Nawabshah, and Dadu during the coming week, he said.

Since the start of the summer season this year, there have been three heat waves, the official explained, warning that there could be more in May and June.

Earlier, on Saturday, the PMD had said the lack of incoming sea breeze was the primary reason the temperature went up to over 40°C.

To beat the heat and avoid the dangers of heatstroke, it’s important to stay hydrated and avoid the sun as far as possible. If you are outside, try to keep your head covered against the sun.

 

 

Posted on

Bin Qasim to take three more days to repair, K-electric informs as load-shedding worsens

F.P. Report

KARACHI: Duration of load-shedding in Karachi fails to decrease as Bin Qasim power plant still needs three more days to repair according to a presser by K-Electric.

Last week, power outages surged due to a technical fault in Bin Qasim power plant. K-Electric had promised to repair the plant by 20th May.

Load-shedding in areas like Korangi, Federal B area and Malir has exceeded 10 hours as of late. People in Korangi and Nazimabad are out on the streets against frequent and frustrating power outages.

Posted on

Munira Yousufzada appointed as deputy governor Kabul

Monitoring Desk

KABUL: The Afghan government has appointed a woman as the deputy governor of capital Kabul amid ongoing efforts to increase the role of women in the key leadership positions.

The Independent Directorate of the Local Governance (IDLG) confirmed the appointment of Munira Yousufzada as Deputy Provincial Governor of Kabul today.

According to a statement by IDLG, Ms. Yousufzada who was previously working as Director of Information and Public Awareness and Spokesperson for IDLG, has been appointed as Social Affairs’ Deputy Governor of Kabul Province as per presidential decree.

The statement further adds that Ms. Yousufzada is a well-known character among media and social activists and has worked with international NGOs and IDLG for last ten years.

This comes as the government leaders had earlier promised to increase the role of women to serve in the key government positions and since then several women have been appointed in top leadership positions.

The Independent Directorate of Local Governance informed regarding the appointment of another woman as deputy governor of Nangarhar province.

According to IDLG, Habiba Kakar Qazizada was appointed as the deputy governor of the province based on the recommendation of the directorate and approval of President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani.

 

 

Posted on

Japanese film ‘Shoplifters’ wins top prize at Cannes film festival

Monitoring Desk

CANNES: “Shoplifters”, a heartwrenching family tale by Japanese veteran director Hirokazu Kore-eda, won the Palme d’Or top prize at the Cannes film festival Saturday, at a ceremony marked by an emotional speech from a Harvey Weinstein accuser.

Spike Lee accepted the runner-up Grand Prix for “BlacKkKlansman”, a searing broadside against racism with the stranger-than-fiction true story of an African-American police officer who manages to infiltrate the highest levels of the Ku Klux Klan.

Jury president Cate Blanchett said the film, which explicitly links the 1970s tale and white nationalism in the Trump era, “blew us out of the cinema”.

But the most stunning moment of the night came when Italian star Asia Argento, who has said she was raped by Weinstein at Cannes in 1997, took the microphone and vowed to fight for justice for other victims.

“This festival was his hunting ground,” said Argento, who says she was 21 when Weinstein attacked her in his hotel room.

“Even tonight sitting among you there are those who still have to be held accountable for their conduct against women. We know who you are and we are not going to allow you to get away with it any longer,” she said to cheers from the audience.

Minutes before the actress took the stage police in Paris said they had opened a criminal probe against one of France´s best-known directors, “The Fifth Element” maker Luc Besson, for allegedly raping an actress.

Lebanese actress-director Nadine Labaki, one of three female filmmakers among the 21 contenders, earned the third-place Jury Prize for “Capernaum” set among the poorest of the poor in Beirut and featuring a devastating performance by a 13-year-old Syrian refugee boy.

Kazakhstan’s Samal Yeslyamova nabbed best actress for “Ayka” by director Sergey Dvortsevoy for her moving portrayal of a young jobless immigrant from post-Soviet Central Asia who abandons her baby in Moscow.

Pawlikowski, who won the foreign-language movie Oscar for “Ida” in 2015, caused a scandal at home when he told AFP at the festival that the film had been “blacklisted” by the nationalist government. Warsaw denied the claim.

He said his award was “a rare piece of good news” for his country.

Italy’s Marcello Fonte — who was working as a caretaker when he was discovered — was the night´s fairytale winner. He clinched best actor for his much-loved performance as a soft-spoken pet groomer who stands up to a heavy in Matteo Garrone’s “Dogman”.

“Three Faces” by Iran’s Jafar Pahahi, who was barred by Tehran from attending the festival, shared the best screenplay prize with Italian director Alice Rohrwacher’s “Happy as Lazzaro”.

The Belgian transgender ballerina drama “Girl” won the Camera d´Or prize for best first film. It had earlier scooped the Queer Palm prize for LGBT-themed cinema and the best actor award for Victor Polster in the Un Certain Regard sidebar section.

French-Swiss legend Jean-Luc Godard also got a special prize for “The Image Book”, a bold, sometimes baffling meditation on the big questions of our time — war, migration and the survival of the planet.

 

 

Posted on

Simona Halep beats Maria Sharapova to reach final

Monitoring Desk

ROME: Simona Halep profited from a miserable day on serve for Maria Sharapova to reach the Italian Open final with a 4-6, 6-1, 6-4 defeat of the five-time Grand Slam winner on Saturday.

The Romanian world number one will bid for the title on Sunday against Elina Svitolina in a repeat of last year´s final won by the Ukrainian.

Svitolina booked her spot as she dominated Anett Kontaveit to win 6-4, 6-3 in just 74 minutes.

Halep fought back from a set down to win only her second match against Sharapova, who may have been feeling the effects of a three-hour victory the day before and was broken 10 times.

Halep has now defeated the Russian twice in a row having lost their seven previous meetings.

“She plays tough, it´s difficult to return against her,” Halep said. “I tried to play my game, I didn´t think about our past.

“I did what I had to do, I changed tactics after the first set and it worked very well for me.

“Against Svitolina I must play my best, and we will see what happens.”

Sharapova was burdened by nine double faults over a match lasting almost two and a half hours, taking her cumulative time on court to well over 12 hours this week.

“I think I battled well, it´s always going to be a physical match against Simona,” Sharapova said.

“Despite all things, I was there physically. No problems with that whatsoever.

“There are a lot of good things that I can take away from a week like this. Considering it´s been a third tournament in weeks, that´s a very good thing personally for me.”

Sharapova will still earn a seeding at Roland Garros, starting next Sunday, while Halep will remain number one ahead of Caroline Wozniacki.

Sharapova was playing her second semi-final of the season and should move back into the top 30 as a result.

 

 

Posted on

Four bodies, stowed in bags, recovered

F.P. Report

SUKKUR: At least four dead bodies, stowed into bags and entangled in the dam’s gates, were recovered from Sukkur Barrage here on Sunday , local police said.

According to police in four dead bodies three were men while one dead body of women reportedly tortured after firing.

The bodies, which were tangled in Sukkur Barrage’s gates 31, 51, 54, and 59, were subsequently moved to Rohri Hospital for post-mortem.

Sources said the bodies were packed into bags and thrown into the Indus River, wherefrom they floated into the dam’s gates. Police were notified of the bodies’ presence as soon as they were discovered.

However, the bodies were stuck in the gates for several hours due to the ‘traditional indolence’ of the police.